Health care is the largest and fastest changing industry in the U.S., making up close to 18% of our national gross domestic product (GDP). To make effective decisions, professionals working in the field must understand basic business principles and tools related to finance, information systems, strategic planning, human resource management and marketing.
A Minor in Health Care Administration (HCA) will provide you with strong leadership abilities, including excellent communication and relationship management skills, diplomacy, collaboration and teamwork, adaptability and ability to manage change and mentoring.
Why choose us?
- UWM’s College of Health Sciences is widely known for excellence in education, innovative cutting-edge research, and community-engaged learning and service.
- The College offers the greatest number of health-related degree programs in the state of Wisconsin, and our academic and clinical partners represent some of the best health care facilities and medical centers in the country.
- Our collaborative research and community engagement initiatives allow us to establish a distinguished presence in our region and beyond.
- Our mission is to enrich the health and well-being of people in Wisconsin and the world through innovative research, outstanding education and exceptional service, and to inspire others to carry out this work.
What can you do with a Minor in Health Care Administration?
In the field of Health Care Administration, you may be responsible for establishing and implementing the policies and objectives of a specific clinical or administrative department or service within a single facility, or an entire health care organization or system.
A Minor in Health Care Administration will prepare you to work in a variety of settings, including:
- Clinic/Medical group practice
- Hospital/Health system
- Home health/Hospice services
- Residential/Long-term care
- Insurance/Managed care
- Medical supply company
- Government Services
- University/Research Institution
Prerequisite CriteriaPrerequisite Criteria
There are prerequisite criteria that must be satisfied by students who wish to declare a minor in Health Care Administration. They are:
- The minor may be declared once a student has completed a minimum of 45 credits and achieved a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- To obtain the minor, a student must complete at UWM the 17 credits on which a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA is also required.
Coursework RequirementsCoursework Requirements
The Minor in Health Care Administration involves the completion of 17 credits of health care administration-related coursework.
|HS 102: Healthcare Delivery in the United States||F/S/SU||3|
|HCA 220: Leading Healthcare Professionals||F/S/SU||3|
|HS 311: Law for Healthcare Consumers and Professionals||S||3|
|HCA 333: Health Organizations Professional Practice Standards||S||2|
|HCA 537: Introduction to Healthcare Databases and Technologies||F||3|
|HCA 422: Human Resource Management in Healthcare Organizations||F||3|
|Total Credits (in Minor):||17|