I-9 Certification for International Assistants

Special consideration needs to be paid to F-1 and J-1 international students when verifying eligibility.

Federal Visa regulations specify that F-1 international students are automatically eligible for on-campus employment at the university listed on the I-20. As long as UWM issued the Graduate Assistant’s I-20, the F-1 student does not need any special authorization to be employed 20 hours a week when the university is in session, or up to full-time during the summer break.

J-1 international students may be eligible for on-campus employment, but only with a letter of permission from the J-1 program sponsor listed on the DS-2019 form. J-1 student employees should obtain a letter from International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) signed by a Responsible Officer confirming student status and eligibility to be employed. Questions should be directed to International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office at isss@uwm.edu, by phone at 414-229-4846, or in person in Garland Hall, Room 138.