What is Pi Delta Phi?
Pi Delta Phi, the National French Honor Society, was founded as a departmental honor society at the University of California, Berkeley, in 1906 and became a national society in 1925. At present, it numbers more than 300 chapters established at representative public and private universities in almost every state, as well as chapters in Paris and Aix-en-Provence. The Society was admitted to membership in the Association of Honor Societies in 1967.
Mu Gamma is the name of the Pi Delta Phi chapter at UWM. Since the founding of the chapter in 1996, over forty outstanding students of French have become members.
What is the Purpose of Pi Delta Phi?
The purpose of the society is…
- to recognize outstanding scholarship in the French language and its literatures;
- to increase the knowledge and appreciation of Americans for the cultural contributions of the French-speaking world
- to stimulate and encourage French and francophone cultural activities.
What are the advantages of membership?
As a member of Pi Delta Phi, you …
- become part of a vibrant community united by appreciation of francophone cultures
- enhance your academic achievements by belonging to a national honor society
- enhance your professional portfolio by highlighting your excellence in French
- become eligible to apply for Pi Delta Phi sponsored scholarships.
For scholarship information, go to www.pideltaphi.org/
How do I become a member?
To become a member, you do not have to be a French major or minor. Graduates and undergraduates are eligible for membership in recognition of academic achievement. You may apply for membership if you have taken or are enrolled in…
- at least one semester of upper division French (Upper division French at UWM includes courses numbered 350 and above)
- have a minimum GPA of 3.00 in French and 3.0 overall.
What are the dues?
To become a lifetime member, you must pay a one-time membership fee of $35. The Pi Delta Phi national office will provide you with a certificate and a pin. Your name will be added to the national Pi Delta Phi roster.
You may also purchase ($15) a cord to wear at commencement.
When do I apply?
The application deadline is usually October 15 and March 15.
The initiation ceremony takes place in December and May.
Application forms are available in Curtin 772, or can be download as a PDF or as a WORD document.
Return them to the Pi Delta Phi faculty moderator, Nicolas Russell.
For more information, contact email@example.com
Vive le français! et à bientôt!