All submissions are considered for issues one year in advance, and our reporting time is typically 2-8 months. Thank you for your patience in advance.
Fall/Winter Issue: August 1-November 1
Spring/Summer Issue: January 1-April 1
Submissions are accepted only through Submittable. Please note that submissions sent via mail or email will be discarded without response.
* If you are considering sending us work, please read the guidelines below.
- We have a wide range of aesthetic tastes, so we highly recommend you read our recent issues to get a sense of what kind of work we are interested in.
- The author’s name, e-mail address and phone number should appear on the first page of the manuscript.
- Please number all pages of the manuscript.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable as long as ccr is notified at the time of submission.
- Please withdraw your submission through Submittable if your work is accepted by another publication.
- Literary files should be submitted in PDF or DOC format. Art files should be submitted in JPG, TIFF, or PDF (see below for further details).
- ccr is not responsible for lost or damaged files, so be sure to keep a copy of your work.
- Please submit no more than 5 poems at a time, included in a single file format (PDFs preferred).
- We have no length restrictions.
- We ask that you submit no more than once in a single submission period.
- For inquiries, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Preferably fewer than twenty pages.
- Please submit no more than one story at a time.
- For inquiries, please contact: email@example.com
- Preferably fewer than twenty pages.
- We are interested in dynamic, well-crafted nonfiction, including creative journalism, personal essays, travelogues, flash, and polemics.
For inquiries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Book Reviews/Author Interviews
- We seek book reviews of any ccr-published genre and relevant author interviews.
- For more information on current books up for review and/or to propose a review or interview, please email: email@example.com.
- Please submit up to 4 high resolution (300 dpi or better) image files (JPG, TIFF or PDF (preferred)). Your brief bio should note the medium you’re working in (i.e. photography, acrylic).
- We are interested in previously unpublished color and black-and-white artwork.
- Our aesthetic reflects a general interest in the blending of genre and media. We are especially interested in art which engages Milwaukee and Midwestern communities.
- For inquiries, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are looking for unpublished works that coordinate print and online components – for instance, poems or collage-works including QR codes, or other bi-modal mechanisms; riddles, puzzles, or cryptograms connected to unlockable material online; aleatory or generative texts with code exposed for manipulation; collaborative or socially mediated works with a print outcome; and (especially) any text that stretches the boundaries of print-digital hybridity.
- Given the hybridity and complexity of this genre, we may not be able to accept even meritorious submissions if we cannot provide appropriate resources and services to showcase the work.Some criteria to consider for submission:
- Digital work will be accessible at creamcityreview.org
- Smallest possible file size without distorting the work is requested
- Color profile used is U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2
- The print journal size is standard digest size on 80lb. matte paper.
- Please contact us for any format or medium-specific needs.
- For inquiries please email: email@example.com
* Compensation: Contributors are given a one-year subscription to ccr beginning with the issue in which their work appears.
* Copyright: Copyright reverts to the author upon publication in our printed journal as well as online on Project MUSE. ccr retains the right to republish in future print or online issues of the magazine, including on ccr’s website.