Starting June 22, 2019, Canvas will receive a number of improvements and updates as part of the regularly-scheduled upgrade cycle by Instructure. Updates are made regularly to bring new features, improve user experience, and fix bugs. Such updates do not typically result in downtime.
- Gradebook: In the new Gradebook, the View Filter and Student Name secondary info both include options for student group data.
- Commons: The Flickr image search has been replaced by Unsplash, a free image repository.
- Quizzes.Next – Please note that Quizzes.Next is not fully supported at this time. Before using Quizzes.Next, contact CETL or your school/college support.
- Instructors can give students extra time or attempts for an individual assessment.
- The Question Navigator displays the assessment point total.
- Settings Menu: When students are not allowed to edit or delete their own discussion posts, the Settings menu for a discussion shows those features have been disabled.
- Copy course information between PAWS courses, Continuing Education courses, and Training/Development courses using the “Import Course Content” feature, rather than exporting and importing.
- Final grade override will be enabled at a future date. This feature may be used to provide an adjusted grade for students in the New Gradebook. An announcement will be made on the UWM Canvas website when this feature is enabled.
- The final grade override will be visible to all individuals with grading rights in a course (Teacher, TA Grader, Grader, administrative roles).
- The final grade override can be exported as a final grade to PAWS when the feature is available to UWM instructors.
Upgrade Schedule Change
- Starting July 15, the Canvas Release Schedule will be adjusted, where upgrades will be deployed every third Saturday of the month.
To learn more about this Canvas update, and to see how the changes may affect instructors’ and students’ work, refer to the audience-specific release note links.
- Canvas Release Notes for Students – Students, guests, and student academic support professionals
- Canvas Release Notes for Instructors – Faculty, teaching staff, teaching assistants, graders, and instructional designers
- Canvas Release Notes for Administrators – Campus, school and college support professionals; administrators and IT professionals
- Comprehensive release notes – Contains all information for all audiences related to this release