Colleen Galambos, PhD
Dr. Colleen Galambos is the Helen Bader Endowed Chair in Applied Gerontology and joined the faculty at the Helen Bader School of Social Welfare in 2018. Dr. Galambos’ practice experience includes clinical, administrative, policy, and research positions in a variety of health and long term care organizations. She is a fellow of the Gerontological Society of America and a National Association of Social Workers Pioneer.
Prior to her position at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Dr. Galambos was a professor at the University of Missouri where she was associate director for research and directed a certificate program and interdisciplinary graduate minor in gerontology.
Dr. Galambos’ research interests include care transitions and advance care planning, aging in place, health and long term care systems quality improvement, gerontechnology, and interprofessional practice. Most recently, she worked as an investigator on several research projects aimed at improving long term care, funded by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid, National Institutes of Health, and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, totaling over $37 million dollars in grant support.
- Secretary-General, North American Chapter, International Society of Gerontechnology
- Chair, Aging Specialty Practice Section Committee, National Association of Social Workers
- Treasurer, Corporate Board, Women and Social Work, Inc
- National Academies Consensus Study Social Work Workgroup
- Interprofessional Education Summit Planning Committee, Council on Social Work Education
- Galambos, C.M., Greene, R. R., Cohen, H.L., & Kropf, N.P. (2018). Foundations of social work practice in the field of aging: A competency-based approach (2nd ed). Washington, D.C.: NASW.
- Greene, R.R., Galambos, C. M., Greene, N. (2016). Social work with the aged and their families (4th ed.). New Brunswick, New Jersey: Aldine Transaction.
- Greene, R. R., Cohen, H.L., Galambos, C.M., & Kropf, N.P. (2007). Foundations of social work practice in the field of aging: A competency-based approach. Washington, D.C. : NASW
- Cummings, S. & Galambos, C. (2004). Diversity and aging in the social environment. Binghamton, N.Y.: Haworth Press.
Select Recent Publications (out of more than 115):
- Galambos, C. (2017). Disasters: A professional response. Aging Section Connection Fall/Winter, 1-3.
- Rantz, M., Phillips, L., Galambos, C., Lane, K., Alexander, G., DeSpins, L., Koopman, R.,Skubic, M., Hicks, L., Miller, S., Craver, A., Harris, B. (2017). Randomized trial of intelligent sensor system for early illness alerts in senior housing. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 18, 10, 860-870.
- Pelts, M. & Galambos, C. (2017). Intergroup contact: Using storytelling to increase awareness of lesbian and gay older adults in long term care settings. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 60,6-7, 587-604.
- Galambos, C.; Rantz, M.; Back; J.; Jun, J.S.; Skubic, M.; Miller, S.; (2017). Older adults’ perceptions and preferences of a fall risk assessment system: Exploring stages of acceptance model: Computers, Informatics, Nursing. 35,7, 331-337.
- Galambos, C., Starr, J., Rantz, M., & Petroski, G. (2016). Analysis of advance directive documentation to support palliative care activity in nursing homes. Health and Social Work, 41, 4, 228-234. doi: 10.1093/hsw/hlw042.
- Galambos, C. (2017). Frail Elderly Syndrome. In Carpenito, L.J. Nursing Diagnosis: Application to Clinical Practice, 15th ed. Philadelphia: WoltersKluwer/Lippencott Williams, and Wilkins
- Galambos, C. (2017). Risk for Frail Elderly Syndrome. In Carpenito, L.J. Nursing Diagnosis: Application to Clinical Practice, 15th ed. Philadelphia: WoltersKluwer/Lippencott Williams, and Wilkins
- Galambos, C., Starr, J., Musterman, K., Rantz, M. (2015). Staff perceptions of social work student contributions to home health care services at an independent living facility. Home Health Care Now, April, 1-9.doi:10.1097/NHH.0000000000215.
- Alexander, G., Rantz, M., Galambos, C., Vogelsmeir, A., Popejoy, L., Shumate, S. & Elvin, M. (2015). Preparing nursing homes for the future of health information exchange. Applied Clinical Informatics 6, (2), 248-260. DOI:10.4338/ACI-2014-12-RA-0113
- Rantz, M.J., Popejoy, L., Galambos, C., Phillips, L.J., Lane, K. R., Marek, K. D., Hicks, L., Musterman, K., Back, J., Miller, S., & Bin, G. (2014). The continued success of registered nurse care coordination in a state evaluation of aging in place in senior housing. Nursing Outlook. Online publication. Doi:10.1016/j.outlook.2014.02.005.
- Galambos, C. & Jun, J.S. (2014). Policies affecting health, mental health, and caregiving: Medicaid. In Berkman, B. & D’Ambruoso, S. (Eds.). Oxford Handbook of Social Work in Aging. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Popejoy, L., Galambos, C., & Vogelsmeier, A. (2014). Hospital to nursing home transition challenges: Perceptions of nursing home staff. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 29, 2, 1-7. DOI:10.1097/NCQ.0000000000000051