Colleen Galambos, PhD
Dr. Colleen Galambos, PHD, LCSW, LCSW-C, ACSW, FGSA, is professor and Helen Bader Endowed Chair in Applied Gerontology at UW-Milwaukee.
Dr. Galambos is a fellow of the Gerontological Society of America and a National Association of Social Workers Pioneer. Her practice experience includes clinical, administrative, policy, and research positions in a variety of health and long-term care organizations. In 2018, Dr. Galambos was appointed to the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine’s Committee on the Health and Medical Dimensions of Social Isolation and Loneliness in Older Adults. In spring 2020, she was invited by the National Academy of Medicine (NAM) to participate in the Vital Directions for Health and Healthcare project. This initiative will identify opportunities for substantially improving the health and wellbeing of Americans, the quality of care delivered, and the contribution of science and technology. Dr. Galambos was assigned to co-author the paper Actualizing Population Health for Older Adults for this initiative. Recently, Dr. Galambos was selected as one of the Milwaukee Business Journal’s 2020 Women of Influence for her mentorship of students preparing for a career in gerontology.
Galambos’ active research areas include care transitions, advance care planning/end of life decision making, aging in place, health and long–term care systems quality improvement, gerontechnology, older adults and behavioral health, practice approaches in work with older adults, and competency based gerontological education. Most recently, she worked as an investigator on several research projects aimed at improving long-term care, funded by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid, National Institutes of Health, and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, totaling over $37 million in grant support.
- COVID-19 Response Committee, National Nursing Home Social Work Network
- Data and Safety Monitoring Board, National Institute on Aging (NIA) Grant #2R44AG049548-02A1
- Health and Medical Dimensions of Social Isolation and Loneliness in Older Adults Consensus Study Committee, National Academy of Science, Engineering, and Medicine
- Co-author, Actualizing Population Health for Older Adults, Vital Directions for Health and Healthcare 2.0, National Academy of Medicine
- Editorial Board, Journal of Health and Human Service Administration
- Associate Editor, Gerontechnology Journal
- Galambos, C.M., Greene, R. R., Cohen, H.L., & Kropf, N.P. (2018). Foundations of social work practice in the field of aging: A competency-based approach (2nd ed). Washington, D.C.: NASW.
- Greene, R.R., Galambos, C. M., Greene, N. (2016). Social work with the aged and their families (4th ed.). New Brunswick, New Jersey: Aldine Transaction.
- Greene, R. R., Cohen, H.L., Galambos, C.M., & Kropf, N.P. (2007). Foundations of social work practice in the field of aging: A competency-based approach. Washington, D.C. : NASW
- Cummings, S. & Galambos, C. (2004). Diversity and aging in the social environment. Binghamton, N.Y.: Haworth Press.
Select Recent Publications (out of more than 115):
- De Saxe Zerden, L., Cadet, T.J., Galambos, C. & Jones, B. (In press). Social Work’s Commitment and Leadership to Address Social Determinants of Health and Integrate Social Care into Health Care. Journal of Health and Human Services Administration.
- Galambos, C. (in press). Social Work. In Kaye, L. (Ed). The handbook of rural aging. Philadelphia: Routledge, Taylor, and Francis.
- Galambos, C. (2020, May 15). The public health epidemic exacerbated by COVID-19. Issues in Science and Technology (online).
- Canada, K. E., Galambos, C., Pritchett, A., Rollin, L., Rantz, M., Popejoy, L., & Vogelsmeier, A. (2020). Transitions of care: Perspectives of patients living in long term care. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 35, 3, 189-94.
- Galambos, C.M., Rantz, M., Craver, A., Bongiorno, M., Pelts, M., Holik, A., & Jun, J.S. (2019). Living with intelligent sensors: Older adult and family perceptions. Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 37, 11, 245-257. DOI:10.1097/CIN.0000000000000555.
- Folarinde, B; Alexander, G.L.; Galambos, C.; Wakefield, B.; Vogelsmeier, A. (2019). Exploring perceptions of healthcare providers use of electronic advance directive forms in electronic health records. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 45, 1, 17-21.
- Galambos, C. (2019). Letter from the Chair: Active Engagement and Discrimination in the Workplace Aging Section Connection, Spring/Summer, 2, 1. Washington, D.C.: National Association of Social Workers.
- Lane, K., Galambos, C., Phillips, L., Popejoy, L., & Rantz, M. (2019). Aging in place: Transitional housing and supportive housing models. In Fulmer, T (Ed). Handbook of Geriatric Assessment, 5th ed, Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
- Galambos, C. (2018). Easing Back into the Community: Recommendations for Smoother Transitions from Skilled Nursing Facilities. Aging Section Connection, Fall/Winter, 1, 1-2 Washington, D.C.: National Association of Social Workers.
- Galambos, C. (2018). Tax Reform: Implications for Older Adults. Intersections, 12, 9-11. Washington, D.C.: National Association of Social Workers.
- Galambos, C. (2018). Letter from the Chair: Substance Use in Older Adults: Assessment Tools for Practitioners. Aging Section Connection, Spring/Summer, 2, 8-9. Washington, D.C.: National Association of Social Workers.
- Rantz, M., Phillips, L., Galambos, C., Lane, K., Alexander, G., DeSpins, L., Koopman, R., Skubic, M., Hicks, L., Miller, S., Craver, A., Harris, B., DeRoche, C.B. (2017). Randomized trial of intelligent sensor system for early illness alerts in senior housing. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 18, 10, 860-870.
- Pelts, M. & Galambos, C. (2017). Intergroup contact: Using storytelling to increase awareness of lesbian and gay older adults in long term care settings. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 60,6-7, 587-604.
- Galambos, C.; Rantz, M.; Back; J.; Jun, J.S.; Skubic, M.; Miller, S.; (2017). Older adults’ perceptions and preferences of a fall risk assessment system: Exploring stages of acceptance model: Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 35, 7, 331-337.
- Galambos, C. (2017). Letter from the Chair. Disasters: A Professional Response. Aging Section Connection, Fall/Winter, 1, 1-2. Washington, D.C.: National Association of Social Workers.
- Galambos, C. (2017). Frail Elderly Syndrome. In Carpenito, L.J. Nursing Diagnosis: Application to Clinical Practice, 15th ed. Philadelphia: WoltersKluwer/Lippencott Williams, and Wilkins (invited).
- Galambos, C. (2017). Risk for Frail Elderly Syndrome. In Carpenito, L.J. Nursing Diagnosis: Application to Clinical Practice, 15th ed. Philadelphia: WoltersKluwer/Lippencott Williams, and Wilkins (invited).