- What policy requires SHRCs for finalists and their employer(s)?
UW System Administrative Policy SYS 1275.
- Should hiring units include contingency language in all contracts for those that are subject to an SHRC?
Yes. The contingency language can be found in UW System Administrative Policy SYS 1275, Appendix 4.
- What system is being used to run SHRCs?
UW-Milwaukee is required to use a UW-Shared Services (UWSS) configured workflow in BP Logix.
- Who initiates a SHRC?
HR Ops staff must be authorized to request a background check. If authorized, the request must be submitted via the Request for Employee/Volunteer Background Check form which initiates the CBC and/or SHRC processes in the UWM BP Logix environment. HR Ops staff should direct questions about the authorization process to the Human Resources Business Partner (HRBP) for the School, College, or Division.
- If I made an error and entered an incorrect name or email in the SHRC request, can the request in the UWSS BP Logix program be corrected?
If you submitted incorrect information for the SHRC in the Request for Employee/Volunteer Background Check, please contact the CBC Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org to provide the correct information and to explore possible solutions.
- How long does a finalist have to respond to the SHRC questions and to provide their employer information?
UW-Shared Services, Service Operations emails a link to the finalist, which remains active for five (5) business days. If the finalist fails to respond to this link, it expires. The CBC Administrator re-orders the link and UWSS emails a second link that also remains active for five (5) business days. If the finalist fails to respond to the second link, it also expires. Following two unsuccessful attempts, the CBC Administrator cancels the request, and the HRBP is notified. If the unit still requires an SHRC for this finalist, a new SHRC request must be submitted.
- How many reminders will a finalist receive and when?
The finalist will receive the initial email link for the SHRC. If there is no response from the finalist after two (2) business days, a reminder will be sent. After another two (2) business days without a response, a third notice will be sent. After five (5) business days, the request “times out.”
- How long does the Employer have to respond to the SHRC questions?
After the finalist logs in and enters the employer(s) information, the employer link stays active for five (5) business days. After five (5) days the request “times out.”
- How many reminders will the Employer receive, and when?
The employer will receive the initial email request for the SHRC. After two (2) business days if there is no response from the finalist, a reminder will be sent. After another two (2) business days, a third notice will be sent. After five (5) business days, the request “times out.”
- What happens if a finalist responds to the SHRC questions, provides their employer contact information, but the employer does not respond?
If the finalist answers the questions and provides their employer information, but the employer fails to respond, the check will be considered complete. According to the UW-System Office of General Counsel, UWS Admin Policy SYS 1275 requires that our institution ask employers the SHRC questions. If the employer fails to respond, UWM has exercised due diligence by providing employers five (5) days (with two reminders) to answer the questions.
- If a finalist provides the names of multiple employers in their response, will those employer checks run concurrently?
- Will the HRBP receive an email after the finalist accesses the initial SHRC email link in the UWSS system and enters their information?
- How will the HRBP be notified when the SHRC has come back “meeting company standards?” How will the HRBP be notified if the SHRC “does not meet company standards?”
Both the initiator and the HRBP will receive an email from “email@example.com” indicating that the finalist “MEETS COMPANY STANDARDS.” If the SHRC “does not meet company standards” the CBC Administrator will contact the HRBP with the results.