Safety and Loss Prevention

  1. Medical Only Fact Sheet

    The Worker’s Compensation Act provides benefits when at the time of injury the employee is performing service growing out of and incidental to his or her employment. Injuries should be immediately reported to your supervisor who will provide an Employee Occupational Injury and Illness Report.

    You have the choice of physician, chiropractor, psychologist or podiatrist licensed in the State of Wisconsin to provide reasonable and necessary treatment to cure and relieve the effects of injury. You have the choice of a second physician. Simultaneous treatment by two doctors is not accepted, nor is a third choice of physician unless referred by your primary doctor. Doctors within a clinic are not considered a change of doctors.

    The Worker’s Compensation Act provides payment for medical treatment to cure and relieve the effects of injury. Compensability is determined following evaluation of medical support that treatment relates to the work injury. Seeking treatment does not guarantee medical expense will be approved under Worker’s Compensation.

    When you seek medical treatment, advise the provider you have a worker’s compensation claim. Medical bills should be submitted to your campus worker’s compensation coordinator. Should you receive medical bills, including prescriptions, submit them to the worker’s compensation coordinator on your campus.

    The State of Wisconsin utilizes medical case management services to injured State employees. Medical care and services, such as inpatient hospitalizations, surgical procedures, MRI and CT scans, physical therapy and chiropractic treatment may be reviewed for appropriateness. If such treatment is recommended by your health care provider, promptly notify your worker’s compensation coordinator prior to having such treatment.

    Should an injury result in more than three days lost time from work, contact your worker’s compensation coordinator. Medical documentation is required to substantiate disability payments under Worker’s Compensation.

    This Fact Sheet briefly explains options available under the Wisconsin Worker’s Compensation Act. This document does not constitute a legal document. The law and bargaining unit agreement would prevail in the event of a discrepancy.

  • Contact Information

    For questions related to worker’s compensation, please contact the Central Human Resources office at (414) 229-4463.

  • Related Documents

◄ Return to Policies