Appointments of International Students as Graduate Assistants

Most international students will have F1 visas. Please contact the Center for International Education if you are considering making an assistantship offer to someone on a J-1 visa. Regulations for employment of those on J-1 visas are situation specific, and cannot be covered in a general template.

The Center for International Education (CIE) is responsible for certifying that U.S. immigration regulations and requirements have been met by international students.

Copies of all letters of offer to international students/non-U.S. citizens should be sent to the International Student and Scholar Services office in CIE. International students are limited to 20 hours of employment per week (across all positions) and cannot hold an appointment (or concurrent appointments) of more than 50 percent during the fall or spring semester. The requirements for international students apply to non-U.S. citizens currently residing in this country that have not attained official permanent resident status, as well as to international students not yet admitted to the U.S.

The international student is responsible for obtaining a Social Security number as soon as possible upon arrival in the United States.