YCare is an evidence-based, day-long modular training skills and support program for youth who provide care to a family member with an illness. Skilled professionals use a teach-back method that allows youth to learn and teach caregiving skills.
YCare is a multidisciplinary protocol. Youth receive hands-on training from:
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Speech-Language Pathologists
- Social Workers
- Respiratory Therapists
- Assistive Device Specialists
- YCare is comprised of small, peer-engaged groups.
- YCare is age- and developmentally appropriate (younger and older kids learn together).
- Delivered by a multidisciplinary ALS specialist, who is trained in the YCare protocol.
Keynote Speech to the Netherlands ALS Congress