The UWM Writing Center is dedicated to being an inclusive and accessible space where all UWM community members can share their writing in a one-on-one, interactive, confidential and collaborative learning environment.
We aim to empower writers so that they discover and develop their own voices and authority. We recognize the value of working in a variety of learning contexts and of employing a variety of writing strategies. We therefore strive to help each writer to discover the strategies and choices that work best for them in tackling their academic, professional and personal writing projects. In practice, that means our staff will…
- Listen to and respect writers’ voices and choices
- Mentor and empower writers to do their own best work
- Encourage self-reflection and critical thinking
- Promote a broad understanding of writing, language, and literacy
- Study foundational scholarship and research related to writing centers, writing pedagogies, and rhetoric and writing, so that it strengthens our understanding of writers, the writing process and the best tutoring practices
- Stay engaged with the greater writing center community and its current scholarship, trends and innovations