UWM’s Sexual Assault Reporting & Support Resources

Report and/or Receive Support for Rape, Sexual Assault and Other Sexual Violence

UWM takes all reports of sexual violence, including rape, sexual assault, dating/domestic violence, stalking and harassment seriously, as they deeply affect the victims and the entire UWM community.

Whether you are the victim, or you are supporting someone who has been victimized, this page tells you quickly how to report and/or receive support services for sexual violence, including sexual assault, rape, dating/domestic violence, stalking, or harassment. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, a federal law, prohibits sex discrimination which includes acts of sexual violence on college campuses. UWM’s designated Title IX Coordinator may be reached by calling 414-229-7012 or by sending an email to titleix@uwm.edu. You can learn more about Title IX and UWM’s designated Title IX Coordinator and deputy coordinators at: https://uwm.edu/titleix/.

File a Report

If you need emergency assistance, please call 911 (or 9-911 from a campus phone). For incidents that happen off campus, the UWM Police Department may, and often do, work with local law enforcement officers.
If you do not need emergency assistance or wish to report an act of sexual violence to UWM in addition to, or instead of, the police, you can file a report through our online Incident Report form. You will receive automatic notification that your form was received, and a UWM staff member will follow up with you by the end of the next business day (UWM’s business hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday).

If you prefer to speak to someone rather than using the online form, or if you have questions about filing a report, you may contact any of the following UWM departments:

Title IX Coordinator 414-229-7012

Equity/Diversity Services 414-229-5923

Dean of Students 414 229-4632

University Police Department 414-229-4627 (non-emergency) 24 hours a day

University Housing 414-229-6123 24 hours a day

Anyone who is assisting a victim of sexual violence may also call the UWM departments listed above for information and support.

Anonymous and Confidential Reporting

You may report an incident of sexual violence anonymously or confidentially. Reporting anonymously means that you inform someone that you have been the victim of sexual violence without identifying yourself or providing sufficient information to determine your identity or requesting any specific action. Please note, however, that UWM may be limited in its ability to investigate or respond to the incident if it does not have sufficient information from which to follow up on such a report. Reporting confidentially means that you inform a person who has an obligation to keep your report of sexual violence confidential, and that report will not be shared with others. Please note that with a confidential report, the person to whom you report may disclose the fact that they received a report of sexual violence without any identifying information for the purposes of statistical reporting. Regardless of who you report to you will receive information about support and resources available to you.

Confidential reporting options are available at the Norris Health Center and University Counseling and Health Promotion at 229-4716 or by calling the victim advocate directly at 414-229-4582. University Counseling and Victim Advocacy Services are located on the 5th floor of the Northwest Quadrant.
Anonymous reports can be made via:

Title IX Coordinator

Equity/Diversity Services

Dean of Students
414 229-4632

Whether or not you file a police report or a report with UWM, community members are encouraged, to obtain support through the following methods:

UWM students have access to medical treatment at Norris Health Center, confidential counseling at University Counseling and victim advocacy services through the Health Promotion and Wellness Department. More information can be found at Norris Health Center and University Counseling and Health Promotion or by calling the main number at 414-229-4716 or the victim advocate at 414-229-4582 during normal business hours. The victim advocate can be contacted at victimadvocacy@uwm.edu.

For information regarding the effects of drugs and alcohol or information about prevention programs at UWM, students may call the Campus Alcohol and other Drug Coordinator in the Health Promotion and Wellness department at 414-229-5836.

Additional Resources

UWM students, faculty, staff and community members may receive support services from:

Aurora Healing and Advocacy Services
24 hours a day

The Sojourner Family Peace Center
24-hour hotline

Aurora Healing Center
Monday-Friday hours vary by day

UWM faculty and staff may also contact UWM’s Employee Assistance Program at 1-800-634-6433

You can also contact your personal medical and mental health care providers to seek support services.