Registering to Vote

Where can I register to vote in person?

Milwaukee residents can register at the office of the Election Commission, City Hall Room 501, 200 E Wells Street. Office hours are Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.

If you live outside the City of Milwaukee, you can contact your municipal clerk for more information about voter registration. You can find your municipal clerk online.

Can I register to vote online?

You can register online or by mail up to 20 days before Election Day.

You can register online if:

  • You have a valid Wisconsin driver license or Wisconsin ID card.
  • Your current name and zip code are in the Wisconsin DMV database. You can update your address online in the DMV database.

You can also register by mail by following the instructions on this website.

Can I register on Election Day?

Yes, you can register at your polling place. However, you may encounter major hassles and long wait times if you try to register on Election Day, so we recommend registering before.

How do I know if I need to register?

If you are voting at the same address as the last time you voted (including apartment number), you are probably already registered. You can check if you are registered at MyVote Wisconsin.

You will need to register if:

  • You are a first-time voter
  • You have moved to a new address (or even changed apartment numbers)
  • You have changed your legal name since the last time you voted

What do I need to register?

You will need documentation to prove that you live at your current residence. This can include:

  • A current, valid Wisconsin driver’s license or Wisconsin identification card.
  • Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit.
  • Your UWM ID card with a Proof of Enrollment letter which can be printed from the “Academics” section of your PAWS account
  • An identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business, which has a photograph of the cardholder, but not a business card.
  • A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election.
  • A current residential lease.
  • A utility bill for the period commencing not earlier than 90 days before the election. A printed copy of an online bill is acceptable.
  • A bank statement. A printed copy of an online statement is acceptable.
  • A paycheck.
  • A check or other document issued by a unit of government, including the University of Wisconsin.
  • A printed copy of your current bursar’s statement.
  • In lieu of a paper copy, individuals may present an electronic display of a qualifying document on a mobile device or computer to prove their address for residency verification.

If the address on my driver’s license is not my current address, can I still register to vote from my current address?

You will need to use a document other than your driver’s license to prove that you live at your current address.