Military & Veteran Services at UWM

UWM is one of three universities nationwide that partners with all three of the major veteran support programs. UWM educates more veterans than any other college or university in Wisconsin. UWM has 1086 veterans enrolled under the federal GI Bill this year.

Current Veteran Endorsements

  • I chose UWM over other universities because of the friendly environment and how well students interact with each other here. I appreciate the tutoring and internship resources as well as the care that professors and instructors have for their students.

On Campus Resource Centers

Military & Veterans Resource Center

Student Union, Room WG99
(414) 229-7211

Our center provides support for veterans of the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, National Guard and Coast Guard. Additionally, we provide assistance for ROTC cadets, members of Military Reserve Units and the children and spouses of service members. MAVRC is staffed by student veterans who understand the educational process and are committed to helping you transition from the military to life at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

Stop in MAVRC to relax and unwind in our lounge area, complete with complimentary coffee, mini-fridge, and microwave, internet access, and CAC readers. We provide opportunities for camaraderie and support that are strengthened through a shared experience with military service.

Open throughout the year supporting all military and veteran students, from enrollment to work/study internships, to graduation and job placement.

Military Education Benefits Office

Mellencamp Hall, Room 168A
(414) 229-6627

The MEBO is dedicated to providing current and past members of the military as well as their qualifying dependents with accurate information and timely processing of their state and federal military educational benefits.

Our office will work with you to answer any specific questions you may have regarding the Post 9/11 GI Bill, the Federal Montgomery GI Bill, the Wisconsin GI Bill, the National Guard Tuition Grant, VetEd Tuition Reimbursement, Students called to Active Duty, and Withdrawal policies.

Open year-round to assist you with certification of your military education benefits.

Onsite Department of Veterans Affairs Counselor

UWM Student Union, Room 319
(414) 229-6488

UWM now has a full-time VetSuccess counselor on campus and is the only university in the state to offer this national program. The VetSuccess program aims to help veterans, active military, and their qualified dependents succeed and thrive through a coordinated delivery of on-campus benefits assistance and counseling, leading to completion of their education and preparing them to enter the labor market in viable careers.

How to Apply

Want to go to UWM?

  1. Request a Transcript
    Request official transcripts from your high school and all colleges/universities attended.
    ACT scores are only required if you are under 21 and don’t have transferable credit.
  2. Submit Documents
    What you need:

    • Application
    • $50 Application Fee
    • Official Transcripts
  3. Apply
    Complete and submit the online application for admission at:
  4. Sit Tight
    Once the admission office receives all required documentation, an admission decision can be expected between 2 to 4 weeks.
  5. Don’t Be Afraid to Ask
    If any students are interested in contacting an admission representative to discuss this process, academic programs and any other questions about UW-Milwaukee prior to admission, they are welcome to call Joel Buschmann at (414) 229-4318 or email

Apply for Military Education Benefits

  1. Request a DD-214 – Record of Military Service Online
    Request Service Record
  2. Complete a 22-1990 Form – Application for VA Benefits
    Complete the 22-1990
  3. Military Education Benefits Programs
    There are several different military education benefits programs available. To determine which program you are eligible for, or which program is best for you, please contact one of the counsellors in UWM’s Military Education Benefits Office (MEBO) at (414) 229-6627, or via email at
  4. Federal Student Financial Aid
    Even if you receive veterans’ benefits, you are still likely eligible for federal student financial aid. We encourage you to complete the FAFSA online at to determine whether you are eligible for any additional aid in the form of grants, scholarships, and loans.
  5. Questions? Feel Free to Call
    If you have any questions about your military education benefits, please feel free to contact a MEBO counselor at (414) 229-6627, or email at

College Credit for your Military Service

UWM awards credit for basic military training & education

UW-Milwaukee will award up to 12 credits to service members/veterans for their basic military training and education. In addition some academic units (schools/colleges) at UWM may award additional credit to service members/veterans who are enrolled in specific academic majors and who have Military Occupational Specialty training/education that is relevant and applicable to their degree program.

How to receive credit

Service members/veterans will need to submit an official Joint Services Transcript (JST) for those who served in U.S. Army, Marine Corps, Navy or Coast Guard or official Community College of the Air Force Transcript (CCAF) for those who served in the Air Force. Credits will be awarded based on upon American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations as recorded on these transcripts.

For more information

If you have questions or would like more information regarding transfer credit evaluation at UWM, please contact the Registrar’s Office via their online contact form. Read more about transferring credits.