UW System Restructuring Project Update, June 16, 2018

UW Colleges and UW-Extension Restructuring Weekly Project Update

Week of June 16, 2018

View PDF version of this page

Key Updates

The MOU Management Plan was sent out

  • The MOU Management Plan has been sent to Provosts and CBOs
  • MOUs will take effect once the we receive HLC approval

HLC Decision on 6/29/2018

  • Planning for HLC decision in early July continues
  • UW cannot make any announcement before HLC provides their official, documented response by mail.

Project Milestones

Completed:

  • Extended Restructuring Roadmap through December 2018

Upcoming:

  • Develop Communications Roadmap through December 2018
  • Conduct MOU Management Subject Matter Expert meetings
  • Begin drafting close out/sunsetting process for Functional Teams
  • Map and align UDDS and budget codes at RIs with those of branch campuses

Functional and Regional Team Updates

Project Management Office (PMO)

Completed:

  • Completed and distributed draft of deck for Steering Committee 8
  • Distributed Risk Assessment Survey to all Functional and Regional Leads
  • Completed all eight visual project plans for Lake Winnebago Working Groups
  • Completed four of eight Lake Winnebago Working Group roadmaps
  • Held IT team meeting to build project plans and issues at UW-Green Bay
  • Held student-facing team meetings to refine UW-Green Bay’s roadmaps
  • Finalized UW-Green Bay’s student-facing roadmap and completed first draft of Administrative Services
  • Met with operations and IT at UW-Stevens Point to begin roadmap development
  • Rolled out UW-Stevens Point’s issue tracker and began restructuring of its SharePoint site

Upcoming:

  • Continue work on roadmaps in Lake Winnebago and Green Bay
  • Work on tuition model for UW-Green Bay
  • Visit branch campuses of UW-Green Bay, UW-Oshkosh, and UW-Stevens Point
  • Finalize System Roadmap through December 31, 2018

Project Communications Office (PCO)

Completed:

  • Financial Aid communications planning
  • UW Colleges Fall 2018 Application Fee Waiver announcement
  • Concept, content, and approval for video with President Cross and RI Chancellors
  • Content development for new Restructuring website
  • Held meeting to assess website migration needs for UW-Extension to UWSA

Upcoming:

  • Build test site for new Restructuring website
  • Memos on UWC student email addresses in 2018-19 and HLC announcement process
  • Facilitate functional communications planning exercise at the June 13 all-hands Functional Teams meeting

UW-Eau Claire: UW-Barron Country

Completed:

  • Barron County board voted unanimously in support of new name: UW-Eau Claire – Barron County
  • The SIS group has finalized its principles and is meeting with Barron County leaders to discuss the transition process
  • The curriculum working group is mapping courses
  • The academic policies committee has done a preliminary preview
  • Chancellor Schmidt signed the UW-Eau Claire MOU
  • UWEC police met with the Barron County Sheriff’s department to discuss emergency procedures and notifications

Upcoming:

  • Michelle Boernke and Jayant Anand will meet with UW-Eau Claire staff to review budget and employees
  • Communication and training plan for Barron County employees will be developed as they transition to UWEC digital resources

UW-Green Bay: UW-Marinette, UW-Manitowoc, UW-Sheboygan

Completed:

  • Held IT team meeting to build project plans and issues
  • Held student-facing team meetings to refine roadmaps
  • Began meeting with administrative services to build project plans
  • Finalized student-facing roadmap and completed first draft of Administrative Services
  • Built materials for 6/11 Steering Committee meeting
  • HR met with Jason Beier to discuss service under the MOU

Upcoming:

  • Refining roadmap with HR, IT, and Finance teams
  • Presenting roadmap drafts at June 11 Steering Committee meeting
  • Developing roadmap for student life and academics teams
  • Finalizing branch engagement project plan

UW-Madison: UW-Extension Cooperative Extension, Public Media, and Conference Centers

Completed:

  • MOUs for DLE, Co-op, Public Media nearing finalization
  • Built tiger teams for 7/1 transfer
  • Met with UW Foundation to start determining how to coordinate various foundation funds

Upcoming:

  • On schedule for 7/1 transfer of conference center
  • MOUs with DLE, Co-op, Public Media, Auxiliary Services should be complete by mid-June
  • Initiating a working group on risk management

UW-Milwaukee: UW-Washington County, UW-Waukesha

Completed:

  • Academic Advising Subcommittee developed language for recommendations to create new financial aid roles
  • Facilities deliverable submitted to establish plan for UW-Milwaukee to assume responsibility of assets
  • 2nd round of feedback for MOU
  • Enrollment management continued to map student lifecycle

Upcoming:

  • Office of UG Admissions and Accessibility Resource Center to discuss advising structure changes

UW System Administration: UW-Extension Continuing Education, Outreach and E-Learning; Division of Business and Entrepreneurship; Instructional Communications Systems (ICS); Wisconsin Humanities Council; Wisconsin Institute for Public Policy and Service (WIPPS)

Completed:

  • Met to discuss CEOEL budget
  • Distributed President Cross’s memo indicating that CEOEL will transition in its current state (further conversations about the org. structure will not happen before fall)
  • Disbanded UWSA regional team led by Jim Henderson
  • Transferred responsibility to individual vice presidents

Upcoming:

  • Further CEOEL budget review to determine how to support UWC Online and Collaboratives
  • Rob, Sean and Alex will look at space for CEOEL and all units
  • Determine UWHELP budget and DoIT expenses
  • A meeting to address priorities for the transition of the AAS Online to CEOEL

UW-Oshkosh: UW-Fox Valley, UW-Fond du Lac

Completed:

  • Completed visual project plans for all eight Working Groups
  • Completed roadmaps for four of eight Working Groups
  • Updated decision log with most recent System and Lake Winnebago decisions
  • Sent names of faculty assigned to the eight Working Groups who will be authorized to work over the summer

Upcoming:

  • Continued work on Working Group roadmaps
  • Roadmap workshop (Jun. 20)
  • Acknowledgement and honoring of new institution with all employees on Jul. 2

UW-Platteville: UW-Richland, UW-Baraboo/Sauk

Completed:

  • Met with PMO and worked through Roadmap
  • Chose branch dean finalists
  • Held Apr. 19 meeting with Baraboo/Sauk County commission members to discuss concerns

Upcoming:

  • Interviews of Branch Dean finalists
  • Policy for use of personnel and hiring
  • Project Planning Activities memo from Chancellor
  • Review of application data transfer issues

UW-Stevens Point: UW-Marathon County, UW-Marshfield

Completed:

  • Huron met with HR to determine areas of need
  • Huron met with operations and IT to begin roadmap development
  • Issue tracker rolled out
  • Began restructuring of SharePoint site

Upcoming:

  • Set up enrollment management group meetings
  • Update SharePoint site with functional team members, per leads request
  • Coordinate meeting notes with Huron
  • Summer testing
  • Greg Summers to speak at Steering Committee 8

UW-Whitewater: UW-Rock County

Completed:

  • Established Search Committee and began internal search process for two-year term Interim Dean for UW-Whitewater at Rock County
  • Submitted tenured faculty ranks to Board of Regents for June meeting
  • Continued developing structure of SIS, conducting day-long SIS workshop with Huron consultants
  • Continued work at branch campus in writing by-laws and personnel policies
  • Approved name of campus: University of Wisconsin – Whitewater at Rock County at Rock County Board meeting (May 24)
  • Forwarded approvals for campus name and college structure to President Cross and Board of Regents
  • Met with foundation representatives from branch and main campuses to begin cooperative conversations

Upcoming:

  • Branding work for branch campus
  • Continued work on curricular equivalents for input and coding
  • Continued work on SIS coding and development
  • Searches for personnel at branch campus, including hiring Dean
  • Approval of tenure transfer, college structure and campus name by Board of Regents
  • Approval of MOU by all parties

Bursars

Completed:

  • Met with the Controllers and recorded their concerns
  • PMO is now following up on the recommendation and requesting its endorsement by UWSA Finance
  • Worked with Huron to develop a tuition model option based on the current tuition decisions

Upcoming:

  • Working through the business process changes needed to ensure proper 1098T reporting in transition year
  • Review by campus bursars of tuition model option (each RI will determine what model it prefers and whether to modify it)

Facilities and Property

Completed:

  • Scheduled all-hands Facilities meeting at UW-Fond du Lac on June 11
  • Worked with SIS team to begin to work through coordinating UDDS codes of the RIs with the branch campuses;
  • Attended FT leads meeting May 31

Upcoming:

  • Discussion of issues associated with regional employee transitions
  • Planning meeting to discuss mapping of UDDS codes
  • Finalizing project plan and milestone dates
  • Facilities meeting at UW Fond du Lac on June 11
  • Distribution of legal contracts and facilities inventory to RIs (July 1)
  • Defining risk management responsibilities (July 1)

Finance

Completed:

  • Completed all pro formas for presentation at June BOR meeting
  • Created template for UWEXT and populated it with 2018-19 Budget
  • Reviewed small work group materials for allocation of EXT budget
  • Compiled questions regarding tuition into consolidated FAQ Draft, outlined tuition solutions, and discussed tuition policy implications with various stakeholders

Upcoming:

  • Issuing final clarification on tuition
  • Continuing conversations for UW-Extension/UW-Madison/UWSA budget (June 9)

Financial Aid

Completed:

  • Made campus-specific updates from each regional campus financial aid director to the campus-based reallocation letter that will be submitted to the Department of Education
  • Forwarding of Receiving Institution-based reallocation letters to UW System to get signed by Chancellor Sandeen
  • Financial Aid Functional Team meeting in Madison on (June 5)

Upcoming:

  • Regionals submit E-App to Department of Ed by June 20

Human Resources

Completed:

  • UWC HR team has met with HR teams at receiving institutions to discuss the HR MOU.
  • HR Transformational team met and identified HR areas that can be provided in a centralized method

Upcoming:

  • RI sending second employee letter (June 15)

Information Technology (IT)

Completed:

  • Held second half of technical overview of the transition, reviewing elements of the new MOU during that meeting

Upcoming:

  • Completion of the effort to stop provisioning network file shares for UWC students
  • Project to move UWC faculty and staff network share data to the cloud

Libraries

Completed:

  • Receiving Institution directors and Colleges LSS agreed that central system data (ex. Alma, ILLiad, IPEDS) would continue to be collected and reported by LSS
  • Data that is unique to telling a campus story (ex. Gate counts, reference interactions) will be undertaken by the RIs as of July 1
  • Prepared libraries website recommendation summary for distribution
  • Prepared and submitted list of recommendations to PMO

Upcoming:

  • Council of UW Libraries conference
  • Delivery of library services transition plan (July 1)
  • Delivery of collection merging strategy, including electronic and print resources (July 1)
  • Delivery of library shared information systems migration plan for transition year (July 1)

Procurement

Completed:

  • Review of UWC/X spend analysis

Upcoming:

  • Memo to other Functional and Regional Teams regarding contract-related information exchange
  • Team review of contract review approach
  • An informational report on auxiliary contracts
  • Assessment of procurement automation future state (July 1)

Registrars

Completed:

  • Finalized Degree appearance for transition year AAS graduating students

Upcoming:

  • Developing memo. language for transition year transcripts from PRISM

Student Information Systems (SIS)

Completed:

  • Analysis of branch campus programs (academic interests) on the eApp page;
  • Defined requirements for application fee waiver for individual applying for Fall 2018 AAS Flex and AAS Online, which will be effective June 6 through November 1;
  • EApp Redesign Task Force submitted initial recommendations to Pres Cross, VP Cramer, and VP Schmitt

Upcoming:

  • Defining requirements for MAAD reporting as it relates to managing admission decisions across branch and main campuses;
  • Receiving Institutions review options for tracking academic interests in each of their Campus SIS
  • Receiving Institutions designate one person as an access manager to receiving test scores (ACT, SAT, AP, TOEFL/IELTS) and transcripts (Parchment, Credentials, Nat’l Student Clearinghouse, etc)

Student Recruitment Functional Team (SRFT)

Completed:

  • Completed analysis of branch campus programs (academic interests) on the EApp page
  • Defined requirements for application fee waiver for individual applying for AAS Flex, which will be effective June 6 through November 1
  • EApp Redesign Task Force submitted initial recommendations to Pres Cross, VP Cramer, and VP Schmitt

Upcoming:

  • Meeting to discuss transition of UWC majors database and branch campus programs
  • Defining requirements for MAAD reporting as it relates to managing admission decisions across branch and main campuses
  • Admissions Work Group will review options for tracking academic interests in each of their Campus SIS

Student Visa Functional Team (SVFT)

Completed:

  • Contacted DHS (for a second time) to request a status report on submission of I-17 in mid-April; received a response but did not get a date of return from DHS
  • Held a full team meeting to discuss our approach to the submissions (DHS assured us that it is viable)
  • Discussed draft of guidance to DSOs

Upcoming:

  • Feedback from SEVP (currently scheduled on the Roadmap for July 1)
  • Draft language for communications to students
  • Dissemination of guidance to DSOs

Veterans Services

Upcoming:

  • Resolved concern about UWC’s Veteran staff’s organizational placement and reporting structure as of 7/1/2018