FAQ – Enrollment and Transfers

  • I was a student at UW-Waukesha/UW-Washington County. What school do I go to now?

    You are a student at UWM. You attend one of its branch campuses, which are now known as the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee at Waukesha and the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee at Washington County. You could also say you attend UWM at Waukesha or UWM at Washington County.

  • If I go to school in Waukesha or Washington County, do I have to transfer to the main UWM campus to finish my bachelor’s degree?

    To complete their four-year degree at the main UWM campus during the 2018-19 school year (fall 2018 through summer of 2019), students must follow the same transfer process they previously did, which can be found here.  For 2019-20 and going forward, students who are admitted to and attend the branch campuses will transition to the main campus of UWM using a different process that has yet to be defined. The process will be clarified by the Undergraduate Admissions Office and/or Registrar’s Office. The goal is to make the transition as seamless as possible.

  • Will transportation be provided for students traveling among the three campuses to take classes?

    Students will continue to register at just one campus, choosing the one that best fits their needs. As a result, we do not anticipate the need to provide students with transportation between the three campuses.

  • How will the restructuring affect international students?

    The Waukesha and Washington County campuses have very small international student enrollments. UWM’s Center for International Education will ensure those campuses remain in compliance with federal laws regarding visa status and enrollment.

  • Will the merger boost enrollments at the two‐year colleges? Is this expectation driving the decision to merge?

    Increased opportunities for students as well as the affiliation with UW‐Milwaukee, a world‐renowned research institution, are expected to boost enrollment. UW System President Ray Cross has said, “the purpose of this restructure is to keep campuses open and expand access to higher education by leveraging the strength of our four‐year institutions at a time when overall enrollments at UW Colleges are declining.”

  • I am a current student working toward meeting the requirements of the Badger Promise program. How will the restructuring affect that?

    Students enrolled at the two-year campuses and already working toward meeting the requirements of the Badger Promise transfer agreement will still be eligible for the transfer, as well as the financial support included in that program.

  • What is going to happen to the guaranteed transfer program?

    The guaranteed transfer programs will continue to be honored through spring 2019. UW System also is working to improve transfer options to all comprehensive and research institutions.

  • Can I still transfer to other UW four-year institutions, or do I have to go to UWM?

    Students in Waukesha and Washington County will still be able to transfer between all UW System institutions, as long as they meet an institution’s admissions requirements.

  • What support does UWM offer for students who haven’t yet chosen majors? Is it available to all students?

    Academic advisors at all three campuses will work with you on selecting appropriate courses that support your academic exploration and help you identify the best pathway into a major. Along with academic advising, UWM offers career and major exploration fairs, career planning resources and a breadth of general education requirements that will support any major you eventually choose.

  • If I want to take some classes at UWM’s main campus in Milwaukee, will I have that option?

    To enroll at UWM’s main campus, you must be admitted to UWM in a bachelor’s degree program. In the future, some courses may be available to students enrolled at the Waukesha and Washington County campuses, but not at this time.