Please read all scholarship details and policies prior to applying.
To provide financial assistance in order to increase access for students to participate in outdoor trips and programs offered by UW-Milwaukee Outdoor Pursuits.
We believe that everyone should have access to outdoor recreation opportunities!
In 2017-2018, Outdoor Pursuits student employees and trip participants noticed a need for financial assistance. The goal was to minimize financial barriers of entry so UWM students of any background had the opportunity to participate in outdoor recreation. Outdoor Pursuits programs are heavily subsidized by student segregated fees, but often come with an additional cost due to the travel, services, and logistics. These costs can unfortunately prohibit student participation in our programs.
- UWM student applicants must be degree-seeking and currently paying segregated fees.
- During the summer, students must have paid summer segregated fees or have paid segregated fees in the spring semester before the Outdoor Pursuits program occurs. A UREC summer membership must also be purchased.
- Financial assistance is only able to be used toward UWM University Recreation Outdoor Pursuits programs. Outdoor Pursuits will apply the scholarship as a credit to the student.
- Students can receive multiple awards, or a singular award, but the maximum lifetime award for this scholarship is $300 in total.
- Students are encouraged to apply for assistance 4-6 weeks before the desired program. For programs priced $150 or more, students are encouraged to apply 8-16 weeks prior.
- Applicants must accept/decline awards within 7 calendar days of receiving an email. If the award is accepted, Outdoor Pursuits will work with the student to apply the amount as a credit and settle any remaining balance due for the program or activity. If the student wishes to decline, the award cannot be transferred to any other program, and the student must reapply for future awards.
- Amount of awards given out will vary based on available funds and number of applicants.
APPLICATION REVIEW PROCESS
- A student committee consisting of 2-6 students will decide which applicants receive financial assistance.
- The scholarship review committee reserves the right to request further documentation or an in-person or phone meeting with the scholarship applicant to have further dialogue regarding submitted applications.
- The Outdoor Pursuits Program Director will serve as an adviser to the scholarship review committee. Decisions made by the committee are final, with no option for appeal.
STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE
- Current UWM students are eligible to apply for a volunteer position on the Outdoor Pursuits Student Scholarship Committee. Students in this role have an instrumental leadership opportunity and work to collaboratively review applications, discuss award decisions, and award financial assistance to applicants. In order to apply for this position, please visit https://uwm.edu/urec/outdoor-pursuits/scholarshipcommitteeapp/.
- Applications for committee positions are reviewed by current committee members and the faculty/staff advisor. Offers for scholarship committee positions are made based on the application review process and availability of positions on the committee.
- Students who are currently serving on the scholarship committee are not eligible for scholarship awards due to conflict of interest. However, students are eligible to apply before or after their time serving on the scholarship committee.
- Student committee members are appointed for a term of either 1 or 2 semesters. There is currently no limit to the amount of terms that a student can serve on the committee.
- Student committee members are required to help plan, promote, and facilitate at least one fundraising event per semester as part of their involvement in the committee and to ensure sustainability of the scholarship fund.
Outdoor Pursuits Student Scholarship Application