Please read all scholarship details and policies prior to applying.
To provide financial assistance in order to increase access for students to participate in outdoor trips, programs, and courses offered by UW-Milwaukee Outdoor Pursuits.
We believe that everyone should have access to outdoor recreation opportunities!
In 2017-2018, Outdoor Pursuits student employees and trip participants noticed a need for financial assistance. The goal was to minimize financial barriers of entry, so UWM students of any background had the opportunity to participate in outdoor recreation. Outdoor Pursuits programs are heavily subsidized by student segregated fees, but they often come with an additional cost due to the travel, services, and logistics. These costs can unfortunately prohibit student participation in our programs.
- UWM student applicants (Kenwood Campus) must be degree-seeking and currently paying segregated fees.
- During the summer, students must be paying segregated fees or have a current UREC Summer Membership at the time of application.
- Financial assistance is only able to be used toward UWM University Recreation Outdoor Pursuits programs. Outdoor Pursuits will apply the scholarship as a credit to the student.
- Students can receive multiple awards, or a singular award, but the maximum lifetime award for this scholarship is $300 in total.
- Students are encouraged to apply for assistance 2-3 weeks before the desired program. For programs priced $150 or more, students are encouraged to apply 4-6 weeks prior.
- Applicants are notified of their application and potential awards via email
- Applicants must accept/deny any awards offered within 7 days of receiving the email. If no response is received after 1 day, a phone call to the applicant will be placed.
- If the student wishes to decline, the award cannot be transferred to any other program (except the secondary program indicated in application) or another student, and the student must reapply for future awards.
- The number of awards given out will vary based on available funds and number of applicants.
APPLICATION REVIEW PROCESS
- A student committee consisting of 2-6 students will review applications and make final proposals to the Outdoor Pursuits Program Director on awarding funds.
- The scholarship review committee reserves the right to request further documentation or an in-person or phone meeting with the scholarship applicant to have further dialogue regarding submitted applications.
- The Outdoor Pursuits Program Director will serve as an adviser to the scholarship committee. Decisions made by the committee with approval from the Outdoor Pursuits Program Director are final, with no option for appeal.
STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE
- Current UWM students (Kenwood Campus) are eligible to apply for a volunteer position on the Outdoor Pursuits Student Scholarship Committee. Students in this role have an instrumental leadership opportunity and work to collaboratively review applications, discuss award decisions, and make final proposals to the Outdoor Pursuits Program Director on awarding funds. In order to apply for this position, please visit https://uwm.edu/urec/outdoor-pursuits/scholarshipcommitteeapp/.
- Applications for the committee are examined by current committee members and positions are offered based on the application review process and the availability of positions on the committee.
- Students who are currently serving on the scholarship committee are not eligible for scholarship awards due to conflict of interest. Students are eligible before/after serving.
- There is currently no limit to the amount of terms that a student can serve on the committee.
- Student committee members are required to help plan, promote, and facilitate at least one fundraising event per semester as part of their involvement in the committee and to ensure sustainability of the scholarship fund.
Outdoor Pursuits Student Scholarship Application