- Leave No Trace trainer course pre-registration
- Outdoor recreation living and learning community
- Subscribe to weekly email updates
- Current waiting list for trips and activities
Frequently Asked Questions:
UW-Milwaukee Outdoor Pursuits
UWM University Recreation – Klotsche Center
3409 N Downer Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53211
Room 131A Phone: 414-229-5513
How do I register for a trip?
You can register for all trips and activities online at https://connect.urec.uwm.edu/ or in person at the Klotsche Center (Room 131A). Outdoor Pursuits is open 10AM-6PM, Monday through Friday. Upon registration, you will be required to fill out a waiver and medical form. We will process your payment when you register and are able to receive cash, check, Visa or MasterCard (Sorry, no Amex or Discover.)
Who can go on OP trips? Can I bring my Aunt Mildred?!
At this time, only segregated-fee paying students enrolled in one or more UWM classes may participate in Outdoor Pursuits trips. If your aunt is a student here at UWM, we would love for her to join us on a trip!
I’ve never been climbing, hiking, paddling, camping! Can I participate?
Outdoor Pursuits trips are awesome for beginners. We love finding that perfect level of challenge and support for folks who are new to the great outdoors. While many of our participants have some personal experience, we have plenty of first-timers too. The trip description will identify if prior experience is necessary.
What is included in my registration fee?
Unless otherwise specified…
- Park fees
Outdoor Pursuits will provide the individual and group gear needed for the discipline you’re participating in (i.e. paddling equipment, climbing gear, caving equipment). Outdoor Pursuits will also provide tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, a “camp kitchen” and a limited amount of outdoor apparel, such as rain gear.
Will I have to pay to rent gear for my trip?
Nope! Anything that we offer to rent that you need for your trip will be checked out to you for free.
What do I need to pack?
For most trips you’ll need to bring:
- Appropriate clothing (determined by type of trip but we almost never allow cotton clothing)
- Appropriate footwear (over-the-ankle hiking boots are required for backpacking trips)
- A sturdy school size backpack at least 18 liters
- Sunglasses, cap, sunscreen
- Bug spray
- (2) Liter size water containers
- Rain jacket and pants (limited quantities for check out)