University Recreation is one of the biggest student employers on campus, offering a wide variety of jobs such as Group X instructors, Lifeguards, Intramural Sport Officials and Supervisors, and Desk staff. University Recreation employees enhance the quality of life for the UWM community by providing opportunities to develop and maintain healthy lifestyles, lifelong learning, leadership skills and personal success through comprehensive recreation and wellness programs in quality facilities. The positions offered provide flexible scheduling as well as the possibility for advancement within the department. We are thrilled that you are considering employment with us!
All Position Requirements:
- Must be at least a part time student
- Must be available to work 8-12 hours per week including occasional weekends
- Must demonstrate leadership, communication and customer service skills, as well as the ability to work with staff, students and members of a diverse background
- Must attend all UREC training and orientation sessions. Hiring times and availability vary in each area, therefore checking the website frequently is necessary when looking for a job! All vacant positions are listed below:
Apply Link Found Below:
All applicants interested in applying for one or more of the positions below can fill out an online job application either on the UW-Milwaukee Student Campus Jobs website (Handshake) or at the link listed in the job description below. Students are encouraged to submit a resume and any pertinent information in an attachment with the application. You will be contacted if chosen for an interview once your application has been submitted.
UREC Job Descriptions
Please click on the drop down tabs below for the links to the job applications.
Job Summary: The lifeguard(s) on duty is/are responsible for ensuring the safety of facility patrons by preventing and responding to emergencies. Required certifications to lifeguard are:
- Lifeguard Training (American Red Cross LGT, r. 2000 or equivalent)
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer (American Red Cross or equivalent)
- Community First Aid (Included in LGT certifications or equivalent)
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR THE LIFEGUARD POSITION, PLEASE VISIT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE AND SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY: https://uwm.edu/urec/university-recreation-lifeguard-job-application/
Job Summary: With limited supervision by the Associate Director and Operations Program Assistant this person is responsible for conducting instructional aquatic courses aimed at skills and knowledge pertaining to the specific area of instruction, as prescribed by the American Red Cross. An emphasis must be placed on maximizing safety while delivering positive customer service at all times. Required Certifications: Water Safety Instructor certification and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, ARC or equivalent is required. Standard First Aid, ARC or equivalent as well as Lifeguard Certification or ARC equivalent are preferred. The instructor must have:
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Ability to be punctual and work variable hours as necessary
- Ability to communicate with swim lesson participants and their parents to coordinate lessons times around the open swim pool times
- Maintain a professional attitude and appearance at all times
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR THE WSI SWIM INSTRUCTOR POSITION, PLEASE VISIT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE AND SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY:
CPR/AED/First Aid Instructor
- CPR instructors are required (at a minimum) to hold a valid Red Cross CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers Instructor certificate, or preferably hold a Red Cross Lifeguarding Instructor certificate. The Lifeguarding Instructor certificate alone will fulfill both the required and preferred certificate requirements.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR THE CPR/AED/FIRST AID INSTRUCTOR POSITION, PLEASE VISIT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE AND SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY: https://uwm.joinhandshake.com/jobs/2628480
Job Summary: The UREC Fitness Attendant will provide a high level of customer service while supervising the UREC Fitness Center, enforcing policies, cleaning equipment, and ensuring a safe environment. Fitness attendants will be attentive and continually observe/walk through the fitness center, while being available to provide assistance to users.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR THE FITNESS ATTENDANT POSITION, PLEASE VISIT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE AND SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY: https://uwm.joinhandshake.com/jobs/5037122
Job Summary: The UREC Personal Trainer will educate clients on proper exercise techniques, conduct fitness testing, and develop safe and effective exercise programs. The trainer will coach, inspire and motivate clients towards established goals. To learn more about how to become certified and obtain the necessary training, please contact Sara Luelloff at Sj@uwm.edu.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BECOMING A PERSONAL TRAINER, FILL OUT THIS INTEREST FORM: https://uwm.edu/urec/fitness-employment-interest-form/
IF YOU ARE CERTIFIED AND WOULD LIKE TO APPLY TO BE A PERSONAL TRAINER, PLEASE VISIT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE AND SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY: https://uwm.joinhandshake.com/jobs/4543729
Job Summary: The UREC Group Exercise Instructor will design and teach safe and effective group exercise classes to a variety of fitness levels. Instructors will educate participants on proper form, anatomy, contraindications and modifications, while creating a fun and safe environment. Candidates must complete the UREC Group Exercise Instructor Training program and/or be certified with an accredited national organization.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN BECOMING AN INSTRUCTOR, FILL OUT THIS INTEREST FORM: https://uwm.edu/urec/fitness-employment-interest-form/
IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE AND WOULD LIKE TO APPLY TO BE AN INSTRUCTOR, PLEASE CONTACT SARA LUELLOFF AT SJ@UWM.EDU, THEN VISIT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE AND SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY: https://uwm.joinhandshake.com/jobs/4193176
Yoga Instructors please apply at this link: https://uwm.joinhandshake.com/jobs/4193139
Zumba Instructors please apply at this link: https://uwm.joinhandshake.com/jobs/4193091
Job Summary: To officiate intramural sports contests within the Department of University Recreation. Must have a background knowledge of the sport through previous officiating experience or have played the sport or a fan of the sport. Officials must know the rules of the sport and be able to manage many different situations during a game and a shift. You have to work with several different types of people, and communicate in a prompt and courteous manner.
We are currently hiring officials for Volleyball, Soccer, and Basketball.
Fall 2021 Sport Official Training Dates
Monday, Sept 27th in the Klotsche Center Room 124
Wednesday, Sept 29th on-field at Engelman Gym
Monday, Sept 20th in the Klotsche Center Room 124
Wednesday, Sept 22nd in the Pavilion on Court 1
Tuesday, Sept 28th Scrimmage in the Pavilion on Court 1
Tuesday, Sept 21st classroom/court/scrimmage; Meet in the Klotsche Center Room 124
- All IM Staff Meeting
- October 10th, 12pm
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN APPLYING TO BECOME A IM SPORTS OFFICIAL, PLEASE FILL OUT THE FOLLOWING FORM: https://uwm.edu/urec/imsports/im-officials-and-scorekeepers/
Job Summary: The Operations Attendant position encompasses three different areas.
The Information Center staff serves patrons as a front-line representative of UREC. They control access to the Klotsche Center and Pavilion through use of the Membership Management System. They are responsible for monitoring the Klotsche Center and Pavilion for illegal entries and appropriate behavior of patrons.
The Equipment Room Worker must be able to use the Membership Management equipment check out system to check out and process rental fees as well as launder towels.
Facility Services Worker:
The Facility Services Worker serves our patrons by cleaning activity & other areas of the facility. The FSW assists with tasks and errands as needed.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR THE OPERATIONS ATTENDANT POSITION, PLEASE VISIT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE AND SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY: https://uwm.joinhandshake.com/jobs/4992916
Job Summary: Trip Leaders provide exciting learning opportunities for UWM students in the outdoors. The trip leader position provides endless opportunities for students to acquire personal and professional skills that translate to any post college career. Trip leaders lead a wide variety of outdoor activities that span from half day, full day, weekend, and academic break trips. Trip leaders are responsible for the planning, preparation, and execution of activities that range from longboarding, kayaking, camping, and biking.
Job Summary: Bike Mechanics work to help repair UWM students’ bikes. The bike mechanic position equips students to assess and diagnose issues with bikes, perform basic repairs, and tune up bikes. Bike mechanics are also responsible for helping facilitate our bike-related programs, such as weekly rides and overnight trips. Students serving in this position will be expected to provide mentoring to other students and staff that are interested in learning more about how to repair bicycles.
Job Summary: Customer Service Representatives are responsible for operating and managing the Outdoor Pursuits Rental Center. Job duties focus on providing excellent customer service for students that are renting or returning equipment, registering for programs, and asking general questions. Customer service representatives are also responsible for assisting with programs, events, and facility maintenance.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE SOCIAL MEDIA SPECIALIST POSITION, PLEASE VISIT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE AND SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY: https://uwm.joinhandshake.com/jobs/5037069
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THE SPECIAL EVENTS POSITION, PLEASE VISIT THE FOLLOWING WEBSITE AND SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ELECTRONICALLY: https://uwm.joinhandshake.com/jobs/5174506
Sport Club Supervisor- $9.50
- Provide on-site supervision and coordination Sport Clubs events on campus
- Must be CPR and First Aid certified (will be provided by UREC)
- Manage risk, attain to injuries, and provide first aid as needed.
- Provide exemplary customer service and manage conflict positively with professional comportment during all events.
- Assist with setup and teardown of event.
- Provide clear communication with Intramural Sports & Sport Clubs Program Assistants and Professional Staff.
- Attend all required departmental and program trainings and meetings.
- Ensure the proper functionality of all equipment.
- Answer and rule on all disputes and arguments.
- Accurately complete all necessary departmental and program reports.
- Understand and enforce all departmental and program policies and procedures
- Knowledge and ability to initiate on-campus facilities’ Emergency Action Plans.
- Maintain control of all aspects of each event and game
- Must be able to become an authorized driver approved by University Safety and Assurances.
- Available 10-25 hours per week
- Strong communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher and Subitup.
- Assist with sport club equipment rental process.
- Assertive and confident attitude
UREC student employee learning outcomes:
- UREC Student employees will be able to articulate how they utilize critical thinking skills as they relate to problem solving and conflict resolution.
- UREC student employees can identify an awareness of diversity and will be able to enforce our policies and procedures to create an inclusive facility.
- UREC student employees develop and enhance time management skills by closely monitoring their schedules and working their scheduled shifts.