Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis. Contact the Urban Studies associate director for more information.
The UWM Urban Studies Program has developed a new grant program for Urban Studies majors designed to help students pursue community-based activities that further racial equity and racial justice, broadly defined, in Milwaukee. The program provides student grants for up to $500 for the 2021-22 academic year to support work on a project with a community partner or partners. Examples include but are not limited to internships, volunteer positions, community organizing, urban gardening, and mentoring or tutoring of elementary or high-school students. Funding may be used for student compensation for unpaid work (such as unpaid internships), supplies and expenses, travel to and from community work sites, and other expenses associated with the community project. Projects must include a community partner, such as an organization or agency hosting internships or volunteer positions.
Limited to UWM undergraduates who have declared a major or certificate in Urban Studies. To receive funding, students must be enrolled at UWM during the semester of the project.
Applicants should write a 3-5 page (double-spaced) proposal describing the project and how they intend to use the funding. The proposal should include the following components:
- Provide an overview of the project, including why you are interested in pursuing this work.
- Describe your relationship with the community partner.
- Describe the specific activities that you will be engaged in.
- Describe the expected outcomes of the project.
- Explain how the project will advance racial equity and racial justice in Milwaukee.
- Explain how the project will benefit the community partner.
In addition to the proposal, students must provide a brief letter from the community partner confirming the partner’s participation and their support for the project.
Proposals are accepted on a rolling basis. They should be sent by email, along with the letter from the community partner, to associate director Jamie Harris (firstname.lastname@example.org). Decisions will be announced by May 7th.
- Before applying for this specific award, students must first: Complete the UWM general scholarship application.
- Complete the L&S scholarship application. This consists of just one item – upload a copy of your most recent UWM transcript.