The University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee fully supports students who decide to pursue a gap or service year. Students may choose to do a gap year for a variety of reasons, most commonly to participate in nonacademic cultural experiences, attend military basic training, perform community service or for medical reasons.

How to Request a Gap or Service Year:
  1. Complete the Gap Year Intent Form and include your reasons and plans for postponing your enrollment for your gap or service year.
  2. Cancel your Housing Contract by completing the Residence Halls Contract Cancellation. This must be completed and returned to the Department of University Housing, 3400 N. Maryland Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53211.
  3. In early fall, you will receive a letter from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions granting your request and sending an updated admissions packet. Please allow 1-2 weeks for processing of gap/service year requests.
  4. Enjoy your gap or service year, whether it’s taking a job, pursuing an internship opportunity, or helping the world become a better place.
  5. If you’ve already paid your confirmation deposit, it will be refunded in full, but will need to be repaid for your new starting term. Please allow 3-4 weeks for processing of refunds in our Bursar’s Office.
  6. Re-apply for financial aid and submit your FAFSA. For additional information, you can contact our Financial Aid office by calling 414-229-4541 and selecting Option 6, or you can email
Things To Be Mindful Of:
  • Admitted students may postpone their enrollment for only one year. Please complete the Term Change/Deferral Form.
  • Admitted students who postpone their enrollment may not attend any other colleges or universities during their gap/service year.
  • The Office of Undergraduate Admissions reserves the right to reconsider any admitted student, including those on a gap/service year, and to withdraw its offer of admission if a student’s final academic record does not remain satisfactory.
  • You will be required to complete the confirmation deposit, housing contract and housing deposit for the new term in which you’re admitted. Based on the time of year you submit your Gap Year Intent Form, you may qualify for full or partial refunds of each deposit.
  • For housing refund policies, please contact University Housing at 414-229-4065.
  • For confirmation deposit refund policies, please contact the New Student Orientation Office at 414-229-5842.