The University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee fully supports students who decide to pursue a gap, or service year. Students may pursue a Gap Year for a variety of reasons, most commonly to participate in non-academic cultural experiences, attend military basic training, perform community service, or for medical reasons.

Steps to take when requesting a Gap or Service Year:

  1. Complete the Gap Year Intent Form and include your reasons/plans for postponing your enrollment for your gap/service year.
  2. Cancel your Housing Contract by completing the Residence Halls Contract Cancellation which is also found online at This must be completed and returned to the Department of University Housing, 3400 N Maryland Ave, Milwaukee WI 53211.
  3. Early fall you will receive a letter from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions granting your request by sending an updated admissions packet. Please allow 1-2 weeks for processing of gap/service year requests.
  4. Go gap! Enjoy the year whether it’s taking a job, pursuing an internship opportunity, or helping the world be a better place. This is a time for you.
  5. If you’ve already paid your confirmation deposit, this deposit will be refunded in full and will need to be repaid for your new starting term. Please allow 3-4 weeks for processing of refunds in our Bursar’s Office.
  6. Re-apply for financial aid and submit your FAFSA. For additional information you can contact our Financial Aid office by calling 414-229-4541 and selecting option 6, or you can email

Things to be mindful of:

  • Admitted students may postpone their enrollment for only one year, please complete the Term Change Form which can be located at
  • Admitted students who postpone their enrollment may not attend any other colleges or universities during their gap/service year.
  • The Office of Undergraduate Admissions reserves the right to reconsider any admitted student, including those on a gap/service year, and to withdraw its offer of admission if a student’s final academic record does not remain satisfactory.
  • You will be required to complete the confirmation deposit, housing contract, and housing deposit for the new term you are admitted. Based on the time of year you submit your Gap Year Intent Form, you may qualify for full or partial refunds of each deposit. For Housing Refund Policies, please contact Housing at 414-229-4065. For Confirmation Deposit Refund Policies, please contact New Student Orientation Office at 414-229-5842.