Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) is a federally funded TRIO Program (U.S. Department of Education) designed to help qualified military veterans become college-ready and enroll in a postsecondary school (university, community college, and vocational/technical programs). VUB provides basic skills instruction and educational and career advising to enable veterans to achieve their academic goals.
The goals of Veterans Upward Bound at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee is to:
- Promote the development and opportunities of veterans to reach their full potential.
- Help veterans learn in an environment with fellow veterans who understand their unique needs.
- Respect each veteran as an adult learner, and appreciate their service to our country.
- Find the right career for each veteran based on their abilities and disabilities.
Over 1,950 veterans have graduated from colleges all over the country with the help of Veterans Upward Bound programs.
What we offer
Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) is a free educational program for qualified, honorably
discharged veterans who meet the eligibility requirements.
VUB offers a wide array of services and activities to meet the individual educational
needs and aspirations of veterans.
- College preparation instruction and tutoring for math and English skills improvement
- Instruction in other subjects: science, foreign languages, computer skills, study skills, and financial literacy
- Preparation and testing for academic placement exams (ACCUPLACER)
- Individualized career assessment and planning
- Application assistance: financial aid, veterans education benefits, Joint Services Transcript
- GED/HiSET assistance
- Advisement and assistance with college admission and enrollment steps
- Access to other resources: study area, computer lab, student coffee lounge
- Referrals to additional college and community resources
Download the Veterans Upward Bound Brochure.
Mitchell Hall Rm.163
Veterans Upward Bound