After an assault, you may want to seek medical care. This may include STI testing, pregnancy testing, or a Medical Forensic Exam.
Norris Health Center can provide STI testing and pregnancy testing on-campus. Norris cannot provide a forensic medical exam (see Aurora information below).Norris Health Center Main Office
3351 N. Downer Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53211
Phone: (414) 229-4716Norris Health Center Counseling & Consultation Services
Northwest Quadrant, 5th Floor
2025 E. Newport Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53211
Phone: (414) 229-4716
Aurora Health Care can provide a STI testing and pregnancy testing, in addition to a forensic medical exam.
You can request an advocate to accompany you during the exam process through Aurora’s Sexual Assault Treatment Center: (414) 219-5555.
A Medical Forensic Exam is a process in which a trained nurse gathers physical evidence from a victim/survivor following an assault. This can include collecting DNA, documenting injuries, recording the victim/survivors account of the assault, and providing any needed testing or medications.
Evidence can be collected up to 120 hours following an assault (120 hours). Victim/survivors that choose to receive a medical forensic exam are NOT required to report to police. Evidence can be recorded and stored anonymously. The victim/survivor can choose which parts of the exam they would like performed, and can stop the exam at any time.
- All medical forensic exams are performed by a trained Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner.
- If able, bring the clothes (including underwear) that were worn during the assault as well as clean clothes to change into.
- Try not to bathe, brush teeth, or use mouthwash before the exam.
- Wait to urinate until the nurse can collect a sample (especially if it is the first urination after the assault), or bring a sample to the exam.
- Bring any feminine products (tampon or maxi pad) worn during the assault.
- The examination can include DNA collection, photos of any bodily injury, STI assessment/prevention, and pregnancy testing.
Sexual Assault Treatment Center (SATC) Services
Aurora Sinai Medical Center
945 N. 12th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53233
Aurora West Medical Center
8901 W. Lincoln Avenue
West Allis, WI 53227