A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a secure connection between your device and a protected network using a public internet connection. GlobalProtect by Palo Alto Networks is UWM’s VPN solution.
The VPN affords several benefits to UWM employees that are working remotely. Using UWM’s VPN allows you to remotely access your on-campus computer, gives off-campus access to UWM’s network drives, and offers greater protection when using unsecured networks off-campus.
It is also important to connect any University-owned device you are using remotely to the VPN. Connecting ensures that you continue to receive regular updates to your computer.
Why should I use UWM’s VPN?
Here are a few prominent benefits to using the VPN:
- Connecting to UWM’s VPN allows you to access resources that are only available to on-campus users such as shared drives and data sources.
- Connecting to UWM’s VPN keeps the information you access on your device private.
- Connecting to UWM’s VPN encrypts phone calls made via Teams (using Voice Over IP).
Best Practices for Using UWM’s VPN
The following recommendations ensure that you are using the VPN correctly and are able to take full advantage of its benefits:
- Get into the habit of connecting to the VPN each day when you log into your device.
- Always be sure you are connected to the VPN when using a public WiFi network.
- Contact the UWM Help Desk if you are experiencing any issues with VPN.
Service InformationService Access
- An active ePantherID and multi-factor authentication are required to use this service
- UWM-managed laptops come with GlobalProtect VPN installed by default
- GlobalProtect may also be used on personally-owned computers
- See GlobalProtect installation instructions for Windows and macOS
- See GlobalProtect connection instructions for Windows and macOS.
- This service is available 24/7 except during scheduled maintenance periods and unscheduled outages.