UWM’s student technology recommendations have been recently updated. These recommendations are meant to aid students in choosing a device for their coursework at UWM. Access to a laptop or computer is an essential part of learning. Learning activities may include downloading or streaming video lectures, accessing coursework and taking quizzes in Canvas, participating in course discussions in Blackboard Ultra, or working on group projects via Microsoft Teams, among others.
The updated information is included below and these recommendations can be also found on our Student Resources webpage under Purchasing Technology.
- Windows 10 computer or an Apple computer running at least OS 10.14 (Mojave)
- Intel Core i5 (or i7) or AMD Ryzen processor
- 8 GB RAM
- 256 GB solid-state drive (SSD)
- 1920 x 1080 (“full HD”) screen resolution
- Webcam with integrated microphone
- Reliable, high-speed internet connection
- 15 megabit per second (Mb/s) or better download speed
- 5 megabit per second (Mb/s) or better upload speed
- Wireless hotspot or tethering from a cell phone will not be sufficient
Schools and colleges at UWM may have specific technology recommendations for certain majors or programs. Students are encouraged to talk to their advisors about possible technology recommendations for your specific course load. Additionally, The Dean of Students Office provides a laptop loan program for UWM students.
Technology (desktops, laptops, accessories) can be purchased online or in-person at the UWM TechStore.