Access to a laptop or computer is essential for your learning. Learning activities may include downloading or streaming video lectures, accessing coursework and taking quizzes in Canvas, participating in course discussions in Blackboard Ultra or working on group projects via Microsoft Teams, among others.
A tablet or phone may not be sufficient for these activities. We recommend the following computer and internet specifications.
- Mac laptop or computer running at least OS 10.13 (High Sierra), or Windows laptop or computer running Windows 10
- Intel Core i5 or AMD A10 processor
- 8 GB RAM
- 256 GB solid state drive
- 1920 x 1080 screen resolution
- Integrated webcam and microphone
- Reliable, high-speed internet connection
- 15 megabit per second (Mb/s) or better download speed
- 5 megabit per second (Mb/s) or better upload speed
- Wireless hotspot or tethering from a cell phone will not be sufficient
If you need financial assistance in purchasing the recommended technology, contact the Dean of Students Office for more information. Technology (desktops, laptops, accessories) can be purchased by students, faculty, and staff at the UWM TechStore.