Access to a laptop or computer is essential for your learning. Learning activities may include downloading or streaming video lectures, accessing coursework and taking quizzes in Canvas, participating in course discussions in Blackboard Ultra or working on group projects via Microsoft Teams, among others.
A tablet or phone may not be sufficient for these activities. We recommend the following computer and internet specifications.
- Mac laptop or computer running at least OS 10.13 (High Sierra), or Windows laptop or computer running Windows 10
- Intel Core i5 or AMD A10 processor
- 8 GB RAM
- 256 GB solid state drive
- 1280 x 768 screen resolution
- Integrated webcam and microphone
- Reliable, high-speed internet connection
- 15 megabit per second (Mb/s) or better download speed
- 5 megabit per second (Mb/s) or better upload speed
- Wireless hotspot or tethering from a cell phone will not be sufficient
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act passed by Congress includes money to help students who are struggling with expenses such as food, housing, course materials, laptops and technology, health care and child care. UWM received nearly $8.5 million through the CARES Act. Visit the Dean of Students CARES Grant page for more information and to apply.