With the beginning of the Fall Semester swiftly approaching, it’s important to remember that your on-campus technology may need some time to reach optimal functionality.
Whether a device has been idle over summer break, or you don’t use your on-site desktop computer as much as your laptop, the steps below will help ensure your devices are ready to go.
Please note: Large updates may take time, please set aside adequate time to prepare your technology.
Campus Technology Readiness Checklist
- Log into your on-campus computer: if you are unable to log in, contact the UWM Help Desk.
- Install updates: if a computer has been idle it will have updates to install. Leave your computer powered on so updates can happen automatically. You can also manually check for updates with our instructions for Windows and macOS.
- Check installed software: verify that the applications you need are installed and working as intended. Test them one at a time.
- Check printers: devices that you print/copy/scan from should also be tested. Run a quick test print and make sure it is working with your computer. Printers can be added to UWM-managed devices using self-service. Please use our instructions for Windows and macOS to do so.
- Check mapped network drives: verify that you can access your shared files on the mapped network drive called Shares. All UWM network drives are located here, they can be found in the S:\ drive on UWM-managed Windows computers – so look for that folder under This PC in File Explorer. If you need to manually map to Shares please use our instructions for Windows and macOS.
This information can be found in greater detail on our Campus Technology Readiness webpage. If you need assistance regarding this topic, please contact the UWM Help Desk.