Transfer/Adult Student Success

Here in the Student Success Center, there are Peer Mentors ready to help new adult and transfer students adjust to UW-Milwaukee. They are one of the many guides to various departments and resources available on campus, and their goal is to ensure your experience at UWM is a great one. To begin making your transition successful, follow the Transfer Student Checklist and like us on Facebook

Admission to UWM: Admission is required before you can register for classes. Application deadlines are typically July 1 for the fall semester and December 1 for the spring semester. If you have not been admitted, call the undergraduate admission office at (414) 229-2222. If you are having trouble logging in to your UWM online accounts, contact the Help Desk at (414) 229-4040 or

Apply for the Comevo Scholarship: A $2000 scholarship is available for students at UWM because we utilize their services. Visit this page to apply: Comevo Scholarship Application
Deadline is Mid July.

Pay New Transfer Confirmation Deposit: Access PAWS to pay the new transfer or new student confirmation deposit.

Email: All official UWM communication is sent to your UWM email.
Office 365 tutorial here

Financial Aid/Veterans Affairs: or
File your FAFSA (March 1 is the Priority Filing Date)

Meet with you Adviser: Log on to your PAWS account to identify your Academic Advisor. It’s important to meet with your advisor every semester to review program requirements and seek advice on course selection.

Register for Transfer & Adult Student Orientation:
Select your orientation program date at Learn about programs and services that will help you succeed at UWM. You will meet representatives from your school or college and take care of getting your ID, bus pass, buying books, and other items.

Placement Testing: (If applicable) You can schedule a placement test time on-line. If you are unsure if you need to complete placement testing, contact your Advisor.

Register for classes:
Use the on-line PAWS system to register and make changes to your schedule. Visit the Schedule of Classes for important dates, deadlines, tuition information, and course offerings.

Pay tuition: Payments can be made at the Bursar’s Office in Mitchell Hall Room 285. Installment Payment Plan information is available at Mitchell Hall Room 295 or (414) 229-4915

Get ID card: ID cards are made in the Panther Card Office in Union 198. They are available for any time after you pay your new transfer or new student confirmation deposit and are used to access computer labs, the library, obtain your U-Pass and other services.

Housing Options
Check out on-campus housing options
Check out off-campus housing options

Buy your books. The UWM Virtual Bookstore is located in the Union on the 1st Floor in the Panther Spirit Shop. The online bookstore can help you find and/or order books you need for your schedule. Books are available for pick-up a week before classes begin.

Pick-up bus pass and/or find out about parking options:   Registered students are entitled to a Milwaukee County Bus Pass (U-Pass). U-Pass is available for pick-up a week before the beginning of each semester at Transportation Services in Union Room G25. Parking is limited on-campus so many students choose to park at UWM’s off-campus parking lots and take a free shuttle.

Contact the Career Planning and Resource Center:
Located in Mellencamp 128 they can assist you throughout your college career with researching majors, career planning, internships, workshops and more.

Campus Resources: Learn about the Student Success Center, Panther Academic Support Services, Accessibility Resource Center, Career Planning and Resource Center, Student Involvement, Children’s Center, Life Impact for Student Parents, and the Military and Veterans Resource Center.