“Getting involved in your community is one of the best ways to enjoy your community and enhance your life. Why sit at home when there’s a whole world out there to immerse yourself in? Through volunteering and getting involved I’ve expanded the quality of my life in ways I never once thought possible.” –Darian Dixon, Senior
“I teach Sunday school out in the Milwaukee community and it’s one of the greatest feelings to know that I am making a difference for these kids. Volunteering is a great opportunity for ourselves but the best part is knowing you are doing something for others.” – Beatris De Leon, Junior
Contribute positively to your community
You have many options to contribute positively to your community and be a positive role model to other students. Here are just a few options to help you find one that fits your interests.
• Reach out to student organizations such as American Associations of your major. Scroll through the UWM website with the list of all the student organizations to find the one for you. http://www4.uwm.edu/sao/involvement/orgs.cfm
• Get involved in the Habitat for Humanity UWM chapter. http://madis0625.blogspot.com/
• Participate in the Bradford beach Clean Up with the National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH). https://uwm.edu/housing/university-housing-residents-focus-on-service/
• In the spring join the Hunger clean up: clean, weatherize and collect food at homes and nonprofit agencies across the city. http://www5.uwm.edu/news/2012/04/16/2012-uwm-hunger-cleanup/
• Participate in Make a Difference Day. http://www4.uwm.edu/honors/studentassoc.cfm
• Student Leaders participate in a variety of campus activities, initiatives, and mentoring designed to enhance the experience of new students, help achieve the University’s goals, and further promote its schools, colleges and other campus units. http://www4.uwm.edu/ssc/mentors_staff/mentors.cfm
• Become a tutor at the Panther Academic Support Services and help others while developing your leadership skills. http://www4.uwm.edu/pass/
If you don’t feel like any of these options are a good fit for you visit the Center for Community-Based Learning, Leadership and Research. This office will help you connect with a wide variety of volunteer and service opportunities throughout the UWM campus and city of Milwaukee. To find out about all the volunteerism opportunities visit their website.