Congratulations on the achievements that have led you to this step in your journey. Transfer and Adult Student Orientation (TASO) marks your entrance into the UWM community, this year, in a new and exciting format! In the Summer of 2020, Orientation will take place totally online to protect you and the rest of the UWM community. The process to meet your Orientation requirements and register for your Fall classes is outlined below! There are many opportunities for Families to engage virtually as well.
Orientation Registration Steps
Before you can sign up for Orientation
You will be invited via post card and email to sign up online for Transfer and Adult Student Orientation (TASO) after you pay the $150 New Transfer Confirmation Deposit*
- We highly encourage you to visit with your Academic Advisor prior to attending TASO. Make an academic advising appointment by logging into Navigate before you register for your courses. Your Academic Advisor can also be found in PAWS. You will be able to register for courses any time after your enrollment appointment.
- If you are interested in living in University Housing, please follow this link for more information: https://uwm.edu/housing/students/new-transfer-students/
We look forward to seeing you at Transfer and Adult Student Orientation!
*This deposit is not refundable if you attend Orientation or if you do not cancel your Orientation registration at least 10 days prior to the program. It is also not refundable if you enroll in classes at any time.
After you register, you’ll immediately receive a confirmation with limited program details via email. You’ll receive more extensive directions via email beginning in June.
Changing Your Major
Part of your orientation experience is based on the major that you selected when you applied to UWM. You have the ability to change your major up to 10 days prior to your Orientation program in the registration site. Please note: Changing your major after you register for Orientation may impact which date you can attend orientation.
If you’ve already registered for a program and you want to change your major, you’ll need to cancel your current registration at the same website, log back in and select “Change Major” at the top. You’ll then have to wait until your major is/is not approved and log back in to re-register for the program. We will not accommodate major changes during the Orientation program.
Spanish Language Accommodations
If your parents/guests need Spanish language translation, please visit our Family Spanish Language Orientation website for more information. If you want your guest to participate in a Spanish Language Orientation, call 414-229-2998 to speak with New Student Programs and we can help get your guest registered for the program.
Date Selection & No-Log In Policy
Orientation dates are available on a first come, first served basis. If a program date is unavailable, we are unable to “hold” a date as our system updates in real time and anyone can select a date should it become available.
You are allowed to change the program you have registered for up to 5 days before the program begins. To change your orientation date, log on to the registration site and select a program that works better for your schedule. If you register for a program and do not participate, that is considered a “no-log in”. If you “no-log in” twice, you will not be allowed to register for a program until the end of the summer in August.
Families and Guests
You are not required to invite a family member or guest to participate in Orientation, but if you would like, you may input their information into your Orientation registration and they will receive communication directly to participate in Family programming.
Make sure to use #UWMTASO on Twitter or Instagram (Follow us: @uwmnewstudents)!
Complete the BCSSE Survey
In your Orientation confirmation materials, you will receive your link to complete the Beginning College Survey of Student Engagement. Complete this prior to your Orientation date.
Submit Your ID Photo [Required] Prior to Orientation, you need to submit the photo you would like to appear on your PantherCard. All you have to do is take a photo of yourself and upload it through GET UWM, PantherCard’s online management system. Go here to the PantherCard Office website for detailed instructions and requirements for your photo.
Credit Agreement [Required]
Before being able to register for classes, you must complete your credit agreement. If you have not done it yet, you can complete it through your PAWS account. Log in to PAWS, click the Credit Agreement link on your “To Do List” and complete your Credit Agreement there.
You can access your UWM email 1-2 days after you pay your confirmation deposit. Your email account is through Outlook and you can log in to the Microsoft suite here: UWM Email
One of the most important things you will do as part of your Orientation experience is register for your first semester of classes. An advisor will help guide you on requirements for your major, but it’s a good idea to explore classes that fit your interests if you have room in your schedule. You can look at the schedule of classes for some ideas.
Check out the full array of Family engagement opportunities! We recommend you do the following to get the most out of the (optional) Family Orientation programing:
- Talk to your student about their academic classes since you won’t be joining them for class registration.
- Provide your email address to get on the PantherFamilies email list.
- Connect with your student after the program to hear what they learned.
- Join for additional live, pre-recorded, and interactive Family-focused opportunities!
Complete the Canvas Orientation Module
When you register to participate in Orientation, you will receive an email granting you access to the Online Orientation module hosted on UWM’s online learning platform, Canvas. Using that link, you will enroll yourself in the Orientation course, and work through the pages, videos, and complete the quizzes. Complete the modules at your own pace and return to them when you have questions!
Adult Freshmen: Please note that completion of the Canvas Module will not automatically release your hold on your PAWS account. This is a manual process, so it may take 3-4 days after completion before you’re able to register for classes with your Advisor.
Get to Know UWM
There are a huge number of additional opportunities to connect in live, interactive, and pre-recorded sessions! UWM is here to help you have a successful college experience–start here to learn more about your network of support and the resources available to you!
- Check out our full slate of additional virtual programming! Engage in Affinity Spaces; Q&A Sessions with University Housing, Norris Health Center, and other campus units; Review our campus resources in our Meet & Greet section!
- Review all of your Orientation materials in Canvas and the Student Handbook
- Review the PRIDE Message to set yourself up for success
- Begin your On Campus Job search
- Join Presence to browse student organizations
- Check out our Campus Events calendar
- Get in the right frame of mind for college by checking out our topic-based student videos
- Get excited for Transfer & Adult Student Welcome Day (TAWD) (August 24) and Fall Welcome
Is Orientation held in-person?
- No. Due to concerns surrounding COVID-19, students starting at UWM in the Summer or Fall of 2020 will participate in an Online Orientation experience. The details of how to register and what to expect are listed above in Steps 1-4.
Having trouble connecting to Blackboard Collaborate Ultra session?
- Review this handout: Blackboard Troubleshooting Tips
Having trouble scheduling an appointment through Navigate?
- Review our Navigate Resource Guide for Transfer and New Adult Freshman.
What do I need to do before I participate in Orientation?
- Take a photo of yourself for your student ID and submit it through “Get UWM,” PantherCard’s online management system. Go to the PantherCard Office website for detailed instructions and requirements for your photo. Be sure to upload your photo at least 48 hours prior to your Orientation date.
- Complete the University Credit Agreement (paws.uwm.edu) In the Finances section click “Credit Agreement”). This must be completed to enroll in classes for the upcoming semester.
- Pay outstanding balances on your PAWS account (in the Finances section). If you have overdue charges and a Bursar’s Hold is placed on your account, this may impact your ability to register for classes.
- Review the schedule of classes online: uwm.edu/schedule.
- Read the PAWS Financial Aid tutorial to learn how to accept your aid and prepare to speak with a Financial Aid advisor.
- Complete any outstanding Financial Aid items (found on your PAWS to do list, accept wards, etc.).
Can my family or guests participate in Orientation with me?
- Families and guests are not encouraged to participate in the Canvas course, Virtual Panther Hangouts, or Advising Appointments.
- Families have access to a variety of programming options, all laid out here. There are great opportunities to interface with our student service units!
- Family participation in Orientation is not required.
- Students can add guest(s) to their registration when selecting their TASO date. This triggers an email to Families to participate in the opportunities linked above.
When will I be able to sign up for classes?
- NEW FRESHMEN: You will not be able to meet with an Advisor to enroll in classes until you complete all of your Orientation steps (Canvas Course, Virtual Hangout, School/College meeting, Health & Safety session).
TRANSFERS: You can enroll in classes anytime during your enrollment appointment (find your enrollment appointment in your PAWS account). We encourage you to meet with your advisor prior to selecting your courses.
I want to change my major. How do I do that?
- If you have already registered for a TASO program: Please (1) Sign in to the Orientation Website and cancel your orientation registration, (2) Click “Change Major” at the top of the page and fill out the form, (3) Wait 3-5 business days for major change request to process, and (4) Re-register for the program.
- If you have not registered for TASO: Complete a Major Change Request form found online at https://uwm.edu/undergrad-admission/forms-resources/major-change-request/
I’m considering waiting to start at UWM until the Spring. How do I do that, and should I do it?
- It’s your choice to start classes in the Fall or Spring. If you’ve been admitted for Fall 2020 and want to start classes in Spring 2021, you must submit a Term Change Request here.
- If you Term Change and have paid your $150 Confirmation Deposit for Fall, you will NOT get a refund. Your Fall Confirmation Deposit charge will be cancelled and you’ll get a Spring Confirmation Deposit charge. The Fall payment you already submitted will then automatically cover the Spring Confirmation Deposit charge.
- There are many implications to changing terms. To get more information about Term Changes and ask questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.