Student Organization Advisor Expectations
The student organization advisor serves as an agent to the University in a voluntary capacity to the designated recognized student organization and provides guidance, advice, and direction to the members of the organization. The student organization advisor has a significant role in the development and continuity of a student organization. This relationship between the recognized student organization and the advisor is considered ongoing until Student Involvement is notified of a change in advisor status.
Student Involvement strives to support the role of student organization advisor by providing services, resources, and educational opportunities that will assist all organization advisors.
Responsibilities of the student organization advisor include:
• Maintain an awareness of the activities and programs sponsored by the student organization.
• Meet on a regular basis with the leaders of the student organization to discuss upcoming meetings, long range plans, goals, and problems of the organization.
• Attend regular meetings and executive board meetings as often as schedule allows.
• Assist in the orientation of new officers.
• Explain and clarify to the members of the student organization campus policies and procedures that apply to the organization.
• Maintain contact with the staff in Student Involvement.
• Provide direction in the area of parliamentary procedure, meeting facilitation, membership recruitment, organizational unity, goal setting, and program planning.
• Assist the organization treasurer in monitoring expenditures, fundraising activities, and corporate sponsorship to maintain an accurate and up-to-date account ledger.
• Assist in the formulation of Student Association (SA) Senate Allocation Committee organizational grant applications.
• Inform organization members of those factors that constitute unacceptable behavior on the part of the organization members and the possible consequences of said behaviors.
• Discuss with organization members the liability issues and appropriateness of activities/events.
• Report any criminal offenses, and any violations of state, local and university policies to the UWM Dean of Students Office and Student Involvement.
All registered student organizations must have an advisor who is employed at UW-Milwaukee. (Student Employees,
Teaching, Research, or Graduate Assistants do not qualify).