Tax Filing Requirements


Student organizations with a Tax Identification Number (also called a TIN or EIN) issued by the Federal Internal Revenue Service (IRS) are impacted by the information below. All organization accounts held at banks and/or credit unions MUST have an EIN on the account and are therefore impacted by this information. Student organizations are responsible for their tax filing and payment obligations to both the Federal Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the
Wisconsin Department of Revenue; it is the obligation of the organization members and officers to be aware of and comply with applicable tax codes.

With the enactment of the Pension Protection Act of 2006, beginning in 2008, small tax-exempt organizations whose gross receipts are normally $25,000 or less that previously were not required to file with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) using Form 990 or Form 990EZ will now be required to file an electronic informational notice to the IRS: Form 990-N (Also known as the e-Postcard).

See e-Postcards frequently asked questions

Form 990-N User Guide

Who Must File:

Your organization may be required to file on an annual basis Form 990-N (e-Postcard) if the organization’s gross receipts are normally under $50,000 and the organization does not already file a Form 990 or Form 990EZ.

Does an organization have to file Form 990-N if it is a subordinate organization in a group exemption ruling?

If an organization is a subordinate of a parent organization and your organization is included on the parent’s group return, you are not required to file Form 990-N. The group return satisfies your reporting requirement. However, if you do not file as part of a group return and your annual gross receipts are normally $50,000 or less, you must file Form 990-N. Contact your parent organization for more information.

What information should be included in filing the 990-N?

The following information is required to file a 990-N:

  • Organization’s legal name
  • Any other names your organization uses
  • Organization’s mailing address (Form 8822 Change of Address on the IRS website to update)
  • Organization’s website address if applicable
  • Organization’s employer identification number (tax ID)
  • Name and address of principal officer of your organization
  • Organization’s annual tax period (the chapter’s fiscal year)
  • A statement that your organization’s annual gross receipts are still normally $25,000 or less
  • How do I file Form 990-N?:

    To electronically fill out Form 990-N visit the IRS website

    When will the e-Postcard (Form 990-N) be due?

    Beginning in 2008, the e-Postcard will be due by the 15th day of the fifth month after the close of your organization’stax period/fiscal year. See your organization’s EIN and the IRS website to determine the organization’s tax year. The Pension Protection Act requires the IRS to revoke tax exempt status of any organization that fails to meet this annual filing requirement.

    If you would like additional information about this new filing requirement, or information about other new developments, subscribe to Exempt Organization’s EO Update, a regular e-mail newsletter that highlights new information posted on the Charities pages of To subscribe, go to and click on EO newsletter. If you have any additional questions, please contact a qualified tax/legal advisor.

    Disclaimer: The UWM Student Involvement does not offer tax advice. Nothing in this publication or on this web site shall be construed as the offering of tax advice.

    Useful links:
    Federal Internal Revenue Service (IRS):
    Keywords: Exempt organization, 990-N, e-Postcard, charities, Publication 775, Form 1023

    (Also see Sales Tax section of the Student Organization Manual and the Quick Reference title Tax Information)

    Additional Information