Student organizations may solicit donations or host events where donations are collected. Student organizations should contact the Federal Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and State Department of Revenue for specific information or requirements for how this money may be used. If segregated university fees paid for a portion of the event or activity where the donations are being collected, then all the money donated must be deposited in the organization’s state agency account in Student Involvement. Any fundraising or other money deposited in a State agency account will be treated and maintained as State funds. State funds cannot be used for gifts, donations, or contributions.

(See also Charitable Organization, Funding and Refund from Revenue in this Manual and visit the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at or the Wisconsin Department of Revenue at

Additional Information