Catering at UWM may be provided by UWM Restaurant Operations or 20/20 Catering. Wisconsin Health Regulations prohibit user groups from preparing and/or bringing in their own food; see Exception A. The use of non-University caterers must meet criteria listed in Exception B., a-f. To comply with the University and UWM Union guidelines, all alcoholic beverages must be supplied by 20/20 Catering.
Exception A: Bringing own food on campus for a meeting or event. For closed events that are not open to the general public, permission may be granted to registered student organizations to provide their own food for non-catered events if the following conditions are met:
- The event is restricted to Union meeting rooms or Fireside Lounge.
- Attendance is restricted to 150 or less.
- No food will be prepared or cooked on site.
- The organization will furnish their own equipment, serving utensils, warming trays, etc.
- The organization will be responsible for cleanup and garbage disposal.
- Outside businesses may not cater events in the UWM Union.
- Alcohol is not allowed.
Exception B: Non-university caterers may be used under the following conditions:
- Caterer is appropriately licensed by local authorities.
- The caterer is able to provide a certificate of insurance as required by the UW System Risk Management Policy and Procedure Manual
- If university funds are used, state purchasing procedures must be followed.
- The UWM Guidelines contained in S-5 for the Service of Alcohol are strictly followed. (If alcoholic beverages are to be served at such events, Restaurant Operations must have exclusive authority to dispense them.)
- The university sponsor of the catered event makes adequate arrangements for the safe and sanitary disposal of food refuse as well as any general clean-up that is required after the event.
- If the facilities of either the UWM Union or Residence Halls are used, all catering arrangements (including those with a specialty caterer) will be handled by UWM Restaurant Operations.
Procedures for use of a non-university caterer:
- The organization must meet with the Catering Manager – with caterer’s name – two weeks prior to the event to allow for processing all paperwork.
- UWM Restaurant Operations will contact the caterer and make all event arrangements including menu, licensing, insurance, purchasing requisition.
- Outside caterers cannot use any Restaurant Operations space: kitchens, coolers, freezers, etc.; cannot use any Restaurant Operations equipment: china, utensils, tables, linens, etc.; cannot use any Dining Services personnel; ©2015 Student Organization Manual, UW-Milwaukee, Page 24 of 67 will not have access to water or ice from any Restaurant Operations space.
- A pre-event walk-though will be scheduled with the caterer to define their responsibilities. Failure to participate in this walk-through does not waive the caterer’s responsibilities for the event.
- UWM Restaurant Operations will bill the organization for all services by the caterer plus a 25% service fee.
- The event sponsor is responsible for securing the space for the event and for any associated charges or fees for the space.
- All arrangements must be completed a minimum of three business days prior to the event.