Approval of Absences/Time Off

All staff must use their department process for approving time off. Most often that is a written request on a template form you give to your supervisor to sign. Some departments use a calendar to then record who is out of the office. After you have taken a day off, you record your absence in HRS Self Service on your My UW System Portal (view a Quick Reference Guide for help). It is best that you do this monthly before the 5th of the month. Your supervisor will go into Manager Self Service before the 10th of each month and approve your reported time and your balances will be reduced accordingly. If you have issues that you or your supervisor cannot correct in Self Service, please contact your department’s Human Resource professional.

You are eligible for paid leave if you are enrolled in the Wisconsin Retirement System or are expected to work at least 21% in an annual appointment for at least one year. If you are less than 100% time, your leave hours will be pro-rated based on your appointment percentage.

Amount of Leave to be Charged

  1. Leave for full-time unclassified employees shall be charged in increments of one-half day for full-time appointments. Absences of between one-quarter and three-fourths day shall be charged as one half-day. Absences of between three-fourths and one and one quarter day shall be charged as one day.
  2. Employees with less than full-time appointments should report actual hours absent.

Paid leave is allocated on a fiscal year basis – the fiscal year runs from July 1 – June 30

22 days (100% full-time, full-year). You may use VC before it is earned and you can carry it forward for one fiscal year. After 10 years of service, you can begin banking unused vacation on your July monthly statement following eligibility.

Sick Leave
Initially, you are given 22 days in your sick leave account. After the first 18 months you begin to earn 8 hours sick leave each month. Sick leave accumulates without limit and does not expire. Except for the initial 22 days, sick leave cannot be used before it is earned. You can use sick leave when you miss work due to the following:

  • A medical, dental, vision appointment for you or a family member
  • Your own illness or injury
  • For temporary care of a family member with an illness or injury
  • After the death of a family member

The federal or Wisconsin Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) may allow use of sick leave for purposes other than those listed above. If you miss work due to illness for 5 or more consecutive days, you must provide written physician certification (does not apply if on approved FMLA leave). You cannot use sick leave when the university is closed for a snow day or other emergency.

Personal Holidays
36 hours per fiscal year (prorated for partial year). Personal Holidays expire at the end of the fiscal year they were received. They do no carryover.

Legal Holidays
New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve.

You can use your paid leave to cover in part or whole the following types of absences:

Family Medical Leave using FMLA
All employees who meet the eligibility requirements of 1,250 hours worked in state employment in the preceding 12 months (FMLA) and/or 1,000 hours of state employment in the preceding year (WFMLA) are eligible for up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave each calendar year for specified family and medical reasons.

Jury Duty
When summoned as a witness or impaneled as a jurist.

When you cannot vote outside of regular work hours.

Approved Leave of Absences
If Leave of Absence is without pay you do not accrue vacation and sick leave. See Unclassified Leaves of Absence.

Temporary Flexible Work Arrangement and/or Telecommuting Options and Availability for Maternity Leave, etc. – Discuss with your supervisor and reach out to our office at 414-229-6936 for alternatives currently being used in our division.

Vacation Credits Upon Retirement, Layoff, Termination Or Transfer

  • Annual pay basis unclassified employees retiring or terminating their employment with a UW System institution shall receive a lump sum payment for any remaining balance of vacation, personal holidays, floating holidays or leave accumulated in an Annual Leave Reserve Account (ALRA) subject to Section 9.04. Calculation of the value of outstanding leave shall be made consistent with Financial and Administrative Policy 29 using the ending salary prior to retirement, layoff or termination. (Base Rate/12 months)/176 hours= $Hourly Base Rate
  • With institutional approval, where the termination is not the result of layoff or termination for cause, staff may extend their University termination date beyond the last day worked by using Annual Leave Reserve Account (ALRA) credits and/or unused earned vacation, personal holidays and floating holidays.
  • Staff transferring from one institution to another within the UW System, or from the UW System to a Wisconsin state agency, may negotiate with the new employer or UW institution to accept responsibility for unused earned vacation, personal holidays, floating holidays or leave accumulated in an ALRA. Where unused earned vacation, personal holidays, floating holidays and leave accumulated in an Annual Leave Reserve Account ALRA) is not transferred, the employee will receive a lump sum payment for the amount.
  • Where the unclassified employee is transferring, within the same UW institution, to an appointment ineligible for earning vacation, vacation accrued and leave accumulated in the ALRA may be paid, in its entirety, to the staff member as a lump sum amount or may be retained in a separate account until either all university employment is terminated or the staff member transfers to an eligible vacation-earning appointment. Leave held in this separate account may be used in lieu of sick leave. Personal and floating holidays may not be transferred and held in a separate account but must be used or paid as a lump sum prior to transfer.

Important Benefits, Leave and Pay Information can be found at:

  • Benefits Summary for Faculty, Academic Staff and Limited Employees
  • FMLA Rights and Basic Information
  • Unclassified Personnel Guideline 9: Unclassified Staff Paid Vacation, Holiday and Catastrophic Leave Policy
  • Unclassified Personnel Guideline 10: Unclassified Staff Sick Leave Policy
  • Wisconsin Administrative Code Chapters 8-13
  • UWM Academic Staff Personnel Policies and Procedures
  • Unclassified Pay Info
  • Salary Advance Procedures

Appointment Types

WRS eligible Unclassified Staff in the Division of Student Affairs are all annual 12-month appointments and they can be Limited Administrative Executive positions (usually pay grade 7 and above), Probationary appointments leading to Indefinite Status, and Fixed Term Renewable appointments that automatically renew annually. Our Fixed-term staff often become eligible for 2-year and 3-year appointments that rollover or automatically renew also. We have a few rolling horizon appointments that roll forward daily.

We also hire several employees on lump sum contracts especially in Health Center, Athletics and University Recreation. Project appointments can be made for less than 50% for any period of time or 50% or greater for up to six months that do not require a recruitment. A unit wishing to hire a short-term temporary position completes a Contract Approval Request Form call 229-6706 for a copy. A unit uses this form to get hourly academic staff appointment pre-approved.

The division’s HR Director drafts adhoc appointment letters and customizes templates for different units and types of appointments. Call 229-6936 for more information.

If you would like to know more about types of appointments, a good source of information is located within UW System’s Unclassified Personnel Guideline #1.

Salary Increases

Miscellaneous Base Adjustment
Your supervisor can recommend a salary increase for you if your duties change (change-in-duties), if there is an inequity between your salary and others in the same title (individual equity), if you take on short-term administrative or additional duties (administrative increments), for merit (pay plan related increases), counteroffers and for market adjustments. The most recent Non-Merit Related Request to Make a Base Adjustment Form is at

Prefix Promotion
If your title is in a prefix series, your title prefix usually begins at Associate, after two years you can be recommended for No Prefix, and after you have held a No Prefix title for four years you can be recommended for Senior Prefix. Those guidelines are found at and the most recent Non-Merit Related Request to Make a Base Adjustment Form is at
and the minimum amounts to recommend are currently $2,800/A for No Prefix and $3,200/A for Senior Prefix as stated in this memo from the Provost.

Indefinite Status
If you have a Probationary Appointment and you are recommended and approved by the Chancellor for Indefinite Status that promotion is accompanied by a $4,000/A increase.

Title Promotions other than prefix
If your job duties change substantially or the scope and complexity of the position increases you can be recommended for a title in a higher pay grade with a corresponding salary increase to a rate comparable to others in the title. One of the UWPQs found on the HR website are used when forwarding a recommendation to us in the VC Office:
Word document versions are available by going to:

What are the System requirements that ensure that our staff are appropriately qualified for the positions they hold?
The UWM Academic Staff Policy and Procedures and the UWM Guidelines For Maintenance Of The UW System Academic Staff Title And Compensation Plan At UW-Milwaukee: Category A Titles are the policies used for titles and compensation maintenance at UW-Milwaukee.

ASPPP’s are at, the Maintenance Plan is and the system policies are at – more specifically titles and compensation are covered under Unclassified Personnel Guidelines #1, 4 and 7 and the

“The Board of Regents have the responsibility to fix the duties of administrators, officers, faculty, academic staff and other unclassified employees of the UW System and each chancellor’s delegated authority for the administration and operation of the institution within the policies and guidelines established by the Board are set forth in Chapter 36, Wisconsin Statutes. [See Wis. Stats. 36.09(1) (e) and (f)]. The purpose of Unclassified Personnel Guideline #1 is to: provide a systemwide framework for title usage; describe System and institution authority for assignment of unclassified titles; offer general descriptions of unclassified titles (see UPG #1, Attachment 1); and, furnish each institution with the official list of title codes for budget and payroll purposes (see UPG #1, Attachment 2).”

Below is the beginning of our campus plan:
Guidelines For Maintenance Of The UW System Academic Staff Title
And Compensation Plan At UW-Milwaukee: Category A Titles

The overall objectives of the UW System Academic Staff Title and Compensation Plan are to: (1) provide a set of titles and salary grades for academic staff and limited appointment positions that are consistently applied throughout the UW System, and (2) to maintain a salary structure that is competitive with the outside market.

The provisions of the UW System Unclassified Personnel Guidelines, in particular UPG’s 1, 4 and 7 (, govern the administration of the plan at each campus, as well as Chapter 36 (in particular 36.09 (4m)) of the Wisconsin Statutes.

The Department of Human Resources has administrative responsibility for the ongoing maintenance and monitoring of the plan at UW-Milwaukee. The Academic Staff Committee’s Advisory Panel on the UW System ASTAC plan is responsible for advising the Provost on the development and review of policies and guidelines for the maintenance of the plan at UW-Milwaukee. The Academic Staff Committee is responsible for reviewing and approving any changes to the plan prior to their transmittal to the Provost for final approval.

The Division of Student Affairs monitors salaries as follows (excerpt from the 2014 Diversity Workbook)
The Division of Student Affairs Vice Chancellor’s Office conducts continuous self-audits and compensation analysis for fairness in setting salaries for our employees.

  1. The career tracking system includes Average/Median Salary Reports and Salary Range Reports that include an analysis of the distribution of women and minorities by pay range and by department. These reports are frequently referenced by the Personnel Representative when reviewing personnel transaction salary decisions with the directors and the Vice Chancellor.
  2. The Personnel Representative also runs a query of all appointments in a title within the UW System and sorts it first by date of hire to identify the starting salaries for this title during the last year and then resorts the appointments by time in the appointment to identify individuals with similar years of experience as the individual being hired.
  3. The Personnel Representative also references resumes of comparable positions stored in personnel files to compare the new hire’s prior experience to current staff’s qualifications at the time they were hired.
  4. Lastly, it is often necessary to ignore the title and pay range comparisons and simply seek out similar positions regardless of title and pay range because sometimes a similar title could be in a different classification like unclassified versus classified, but the salaries should still be comparable.

What is most important is that we compare positions of equal responsibility, similar work activities, skills and qualification requirements, scope and productivity levels and that we make decisions based on the most practical and objective information as possible.

Factors that are considered in our compensation self-assessments include:

  • Related experience in previous employment
  • Educational degrees and certifications
  • Length of time in current position and Length of time at UWM
  • Comparable positions in the department, division, campus and UWS
  • Current market salaries and new hires at UWM and UW Madison
  • For current employees, we also look at their performance evaluations
  • We use many sources of salary data depending of the type of professional field involved.
  • We identify any anomalies that impact our comparison, for example our nurse practitioners can be general practitioners or specialists but they have the same title but should not be paid the same.


We recommend you reach out to several areas for help and assistance here at UWM. The Human Resource team here in Chapman Hall are also ready to assist you in understanding your rights and responsibilities related to the type of appointment you hold, which department or group can assist you and what policy will need to be followed. Call 229-6936 for confidential divisional consultations.

Unclassified/Academic Staff can also call the Secretary of the University’s Office for assistance as noted in the following resources which are quite comprehensive.