Our graduate students address a broad spectrum of sociological questions and methodological perspectives in their research. This breadth of interests is evident in the list below of the department’s recent MA theses and papers.
- E. Dorshorst, Polarization of Abortion Attitudes in the United States: Political Identity, Religious Conservatism, and Gender Attitudes
- G. Goldman, New Economy, New Racism? Comparing Black and White Demand for Redistribution, 1978 to 2014
- K. James, Public Perceptions of Feminism and Other Social Justice Movements in the Contemporary US
- H. Marahrens, The Public Perception of Biologists as Cultural Authorities on Human Origins
- D. Post, Socio-Political Production of Liberal Attitudes in India
- M. BlomWillis, What Role do Parental Culture and Structure Play in the Adoption Process
- A. Bryan, Science Literacy and Cultural Capital: Intergenerational Factors in the Production of Science Knowledge
- E. Callahan, Electronic Patient/Provider Communication: Exploring Access, Use and Benefits
- K. Fredricks, Racialized Representation in Preschool Television Programming
- E. Schulz, Visual and Rhetorical Representations of Victimization and Perpetration: A Content Analysis of Current Anti-Trafficking Campaigns in the US
- R. Verde, Feminist Discourses in the Critical and Popular Receptions of Fifty Shades of Grey and Story of O
- M. Alvelo-Rivera, Sequencing Success: The InterPlay of Opportunities, Resources, Tactics, and Framing in the Triumph of the Villas Del Sol Squatter Movement
- K. Brown, Concerted Cultivation, Invisible Disability and Achievement
- L. Chang, An Exploration of how Student Gender, Generational Status, and perceptions Influence parental Aspirations and Educational Achievement
- D. Lashua, Extremism and Democracy: How Ideology Affects Forms of Political Participation
- M. Salzman, The Nonprofit Middleman
- R. Cusatis, Self-Reports of Physical Activity: Do Different Methods of Data Collection Tell a Different Story?
- A. Duran Lopez, Where Voting Intersects with Unconventional Political Participation: Types of Participants in the European Union
- B. Gilberston, Finding Its Place: The Effect of Race on Drug Court Outcomes
- B. Held, Family Formations and Modern Costs: Does Parental Structure Influence Student Debt?
- E. Klainot-Hess, Comparing Mobilization in the Wisconsin and Ohio 2011 Anti-Collective Bargaining Bills Protests
- E. Nebel, The Communicative Body: An Examination of Body Consciousness Among the Deaf
- T. Petrovic, Psychological Wellbeing in Older Adults: The Effects of Perceived Support and Negative Interaction with the Religious Congregation
- K. Ritchhart, Is Chivalry Still Present within the Sentencing of Female Offenders?
- J. Schopp, Social Network Diversity and the Educational Experiences of Biracial/Multicultural Students
- K. Anderson-Lamb, Gender as a Social Determinant of Food Insecurity Among Women in Malawi
- B. Nimke, The Employability of Iraq and Afghanistan War Veterans: An Examination of the Benefits of Veteran Service Utilization
- C. Hawley, Race, Ethnicity, and Cultural Competence: An Analysis of a Medical Textbook
- C. Bentley, Young Adults, Parents and Religiosity: An Examination of Prolonged Dependence and parental Influence over Religious Beliefs, Behaviors, and Affiliations of Young Adult Children
- T. Calkins, The Wild Hunt for Omnivores: Socioeconomic Stratification and Taste in Music
- A. Coleman, Intervention and Outcomes: The Impact of Upward Bound and Talent Search on Occupational Prestige
- C. Mathes, Spousal Strain and Caregiver Depression: Does the Marital Relationship influence the Association between Caregiving and Depression?
- M. McCarthy, Anonymous’ and Wikileaks’ War Against Information Asymmetry
- M. McDonald, Can Social or Cultural Capital explain a Connection between Performing Arts Extracurricular Activities and Enhanced Student Outcomes?
- K. Smith, The Effect of Racial Mismatch and Teacher Perceptions and Expectations on African American Male Student Achievement
- B. Schreiber, The Effect of Studying Abroad on Racial/Ethnic Attitudes and Tolerance
- B. Johnson, Does Work-Related Information and Communication Technology Use Influence Employee Perceptions of Productivity and Distress?
- J. Austin, Grandparent to the Rescue? Maternal Depression, Pre-School Aged Children, and the Co-Residence of a Grandparent
- M. Caldwell, Finding Hidden Wells on Food Desert Islands: Racial Segregation, Poverty Concentration and Provisional Food Options
- J. Coutley, The Continuing Class Politics Debate: Three Models of Class Voting in the 2008 Presidential Election
- D. Wolover, A New Media Fueled Revolution:” U.S. Embassy Cables, Wikileaks, and the Tunisian Revolution
- P. Lee, Interracial Dating and the Hmong Community: Internal Conflict and the “good” Hmong Woman
- N. Merrill, Assessing Identity Formation among Black-White Biracial People