There are many employment options that support older adults, including: medical, hospice, long-term care, rehabilitation, home and community-based services, behavior health, corrections, criminal justice, research and policy analysis, program development, advocacy, education, and training.
|Certificate Requirements - GCAG Online|
|Online Required Courses, 12 credits|
|NURS 760||Processes of Aging||3||Fall|
|SOC WRK 851||Social Issues and Policy Analysis||3||Spring|
|PSYCH 680||Psychology of Aging||3||Fall, Spring, Summer|
|SOC WRK 855||Social Issues and Policy Analysis||3||Fall|
|Online Elective Courses (choose two), 6 credits|
|AD LDSP 667||Program Planning in Adult Education||3||Fall|
|AD LDSP 757||Principles and Foundations of Adult Education||3||Fall, Spring|
|NURS 779||Special Topics Seminar: Pain and Symptom Management||3||Summer|
|OCCTHPY 625||Design and Disability||3||Fall|
|PSYCH 782||The Aging Brain||3||Spring|
How to Apply
- Contact Jen Kahn-Pettigrew, Coordinator for Education and Programming, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 414-229-6888 to set up an advising appointment.
- Review the UWM Graduate School certificate information located under “Certificate Toolbox“.
- Apply to UWM’s Graduate School as a certificate student.
- Complete the Certificate in Applied Gerontology declaration form.
This certification program provides you with the knowledge and skills to effectively meet the needs of the aging population in a wide range of careers. There are opportunities in nursing, teaching, service, administration, and research that focus on the needs and interests of older adults. These opportunities also exist within government programs and agencies; public and private institutions that provide health, education, and social services; research centers; special interest groups; colleges and universities; and corporate human resources divisions. Click here for more information on Careers in Aging.
- Applied Gerontology Home Page
- Graduate Certificate in
- Graduate Certificate in Applied Gerontology – Online Option
- Social Work Minor in Aging
- Helen Bader Age and Community Scholarship
- Irene Frye Scholarship for Gerontology
- Student Gerontology Association
- Faculty and Alumni Profiles
- World Elder Abuse Awareness Day Event
- Community and Educational Resources