College for Kids – Resources
You’ll find everything here that you need to know about enrolling your child in our classes, important program information, teaching opportunities and sponsorship information.
College for Kids & Teens meets in the Union Terrace on the ground floor (street level) of the UWM Student Union, 2200 E. Kenwood Blvd. Our summer office (first week of June through mid-August) is in Union room W179. For more information, please call 414-940-1896.
Skip Ahead! Early Check-in:
Advanced check-in: Friday, June 4, 2pm-4pm
Wednesday, June 9, 2pm-4pm
Thursday, June 10, 2pm-4pm
Avoid long lines and get acquainted with campus early – stop by our check-in desk at the UWM Union circle drive (entrance located on Kenwood Blvd). The UWM Union is located at 2200 E Kenwood Blvd., Milwaukee, WI, 53211. For more information, please call 414-940-1896.
On the first day of the first classes, come to the main entrance at the circle drive of the UWM Student Union, 2200 E. Kenwood Blvd., with your child 30 minutes prior to his/her first class to make sure you have completed all the paperwork. If your child is signed up for multiple classes in multiple sections, you do this only once during the summer. Please use the catalog or website for your class dates and times. We highly recommend writing this information on your printed confirmation sheet and bringing it to check-in on your first day of class(es).
- Testing will be available at UWM. More information will be shared with families as it becomes available.
- Your family is welcome to be tested outside of our testing facilities. If you choose this option, please remember that your student will not be allowed to attend the program without proof of either a negative test or proof of vaccination. Below are some links to information about testing sites.
- If your student tests positive for COVID-19 and is unable to attend the program, please contact our offices at 414-227-3360 and/or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss options for future enrollment or attendance options.
- Pre-Screening Questionnaire completed and paper copy turned into CFK&T staff upon arrival.
- If your child has any of the symptoms listed in question #1, they and any other campers residing in the same household should not attend camp and will be sent home from camp if symptoms occur while at camp. If shortness of breath or trouble breathing occur during the program, we will follow emergency protocols and contact the family and 911. Your child should isolate, be tested for COVID-19*, and parents should contact their healthcare provider for further guidance.
- If your child has two or more of the symptoms in question #2, they and any other campers residing in the same household should not attend camp and will be sent home from camp if symptoms occur while at camp. Your child should isolate, be tested for COVID-19*, and parents should contact their healthcare provider for further guidance.
- If your child has either vomiting or diarrhea, they and any other campers residing in the same household should not attend camp and will be sent home. Your child should isolate, be tested for COVID-19*, and contact their healthcare provider for further guidance.
*Any child with possible COVID-19 symptoms will need to either provide a negative COVID-19 test to re-enter the camp or provide a healthcare provider note that the symptoms are not COVID-19 related.
- Parents will not be allowed to enter the Union for drop-off of their student(s).
- All students will have their temperature taken upon arrival using a contactless thermometer. If the student’s temperature is at or above 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit, he/she will not be allowed to enter the program.
- Students that are cleared of symptoms and have proof of a negative test or proof for an exemption will be given a CFK&T wristband (yellow for Sessions and white for Discovery Camps). No student will be given admittance to the program without a verified wristband. Students will be required to wear the wristband for the entirety of their time in the program. Replacements can be given to students as needed. A color-coded mark will be made daily Tuesday-Friday after symptom-checking and check-in.
- If your student is cleared to attend the program, they will be escorted to one of three staging areas where they will meet their instructor and be escorted to their class. These staging areas are in separate areas of the Union and the Union Terrace and are separated into three cohorts based on age groups. These cohorts will be K5-2 grade students, 3-5 grade students, and 6-12 grade students.
PARKING INFORMATION/CAR PICK-UP PROCEDURES
You may pick up or drop off at the circle in front of the UWM Student Union, 2200 E. Kenwood Blvd. Another option is to park on a side street and walk up to pick-up.
Drop off your child only if you see a CFK&T staff member (in a CFK&T t-shirt and/or CFK&T orange vest and wristband/lanyard with name badge). If you do not see us, you are late and you should take your child directly to his/her class. If you do not know the class location, please come to Union room W179 or call 414-940-1896. We do not have enough staff to provide early pick-up or latecomers assistance to and from classes. Only students that make it to the Union Terrace before the class start will be escorted. If your child arrives after these designated times you will need to walk him or her to class. If you need to pick up your child early or drop them off late, you must go directly to their classroom.
Only students who have a signed parental consent form indicating that they can leave unattended (orange wristband) will be able to leave without an adult. If you give your child this permission, please sign the appropriate location on the parental consent form. This will give permission for your child to leave the program at any time without CFK&T supervision. (This would include, but is not limited to: going to the bathroom, purchasing food during breaks/lunch, and walking to and from classes without the instructor or staff members.) By agreeing to this your child will be given the right to leave campus unsupervised. All students will stay with an instructor or staff at all program times 9:00am-4:00pm. There will be no exceptions.
Important Covid-19 Drop-off Procedures
- All student arrivals on Mondays need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian. For the rest of the days and sessions or Discovery Camp it is expected that students will be accompanied by a parent or guardian for drop-offs and pick-ups. (Exceptions can be made for students grades 6-12 only if it is proposed to the director and is approved by the CFK&T team.)
- All students arriving by car will need to be dropped off in the circle drive at the Union (2200 E. Kenwood Blvd.) Only about 6-8 cars can occupy this circle drive and there is no parking or leaving your vehicle. (Please see the attached PDF for visual information as to the drop off in the Union circle.) Students may leave their cars and approach the designated UWM College for Kids & Teens Staff at the check-in table with proof of a negative COVID-19 test (on the first Monday of each session) and their Pre-Screening Questionnaire (due daily) stating that they do not a fever, shortness of breath, cough, or new loss of taste and smell or do not have two of the additional identified symptoms. We ask that you do not leave the Union circle drive until your student has been admitted into the program. If your student does not have proof of a negative test (Mondays) and a completed Pre-Screening Questionnaire the student will need to return home. Also, if they state that they have not cleared the provided daily symptom check the student will also not be admitted and will need to return to your vehicle and will not be admitted into the program. Classes run from 9-11 am, 11:30 am-1:30 pm and 2-4 pm and drop-off can take place within 30 minutes prior to your students’ scheduled time for class(es).
- If you are unable to arrive by car and need to walk your student to the program, we will need you to bring your students to our check-in table located at the main entrance outside of the Union near the circle drive. Please do not take your student directly into the Union.
- All parents/guardians and students are required to wear a mask covering your mouth and nose and always keep 6ft social distance.
- Students will be escorted to their 11:30am and 2pm classes 15 minutes prior to the class start times. If your student is enrolled in an 11:30am-1:30 pm class or a 2-4pm class, please arrive 20 minutes prior to class start time. (More information about break/lunch time to follow.)
Instructors will bring students to the Union Terrace or the Union circle where CFK&T staff will be waiting at the end of class time. You must pick up your child within 15 minutes of the end of class (e.g., if class ends at 11am, you must pick him/her up no later than 11:15am). Students will be allowed to wait for their ride either inside the Union Terrace or outside at the circle drive-up. (Please make sure your child knows where they are meeting you.) CFK&T does not have the staffing resources to care for children who are not picked up within the 15-minute window. To cover costs, if you are late, you will be charged $10 for each 15 minutes you are late (e.g., 4:16-4:31 would be $10, 4:32-4:47 would be $20, and so on). If your child is not picked up within one hour, CFK&T will contact the UWM campus police. Your child will not be allowed to return to classes until the fee has been paid.
Important Covid-19 Pick-up Procedures
- At the end of the 9-11 am class all students that will be attending the 11:30am-1:30pm class will be returned to the Union to their separate staging area. Students leaving for the day will be brought outside to the circle drive for pick-up by car or by walk-up. This is the one time in which there will be an overlap of drop-off and pick-up which will mean that these will be busier times. We ask for your patience and understanding.
- For the final pick-up of the day after the 4pm class all students will be returned to the Union circle for pick-up and will be socially distanced in the space provided. For students with permission to leave on their own they will be asked to leave through the main doors at the circle drive. At that time, they may meet their families wherever the family has decided to meet. This will be a high traffic time and we suggest arriving early, if possible, to secure a space in the Union circle drive or the few spots available on Kenwood Blvd. If you are unable to secure one of these spots you may need to circle the block or park on a side street for walk-up pick-up. We must insure at this time that we provide social distancing and mask wearing by all families and participants.
There are two break periods between class periods (11-11:30am and 1:30- 2pm). Students will return from classes at this time and those that will be in CFK&T care for the break periods will move to their next class and the break will take place in their classes 15 minutes prior to the start of the next class. All students that are done for the day will be escorted to the Union circle drive for pick-up. Students participating in break periods in their classrooms will need to eat snacks and/or lunches brought from home. No food or vending will be available for students. The students will be socially distanced in classrooms and/or outdoor space while supervised by instructors and CFK&T staff. After snacks or lunches are completed, students will begin their next classes. Tables or desks will be cleaned and sanitized at the end of classes. Once your child or teen is registered there are no refunds or transfers. Refunds are made only for classes canceled by CFK&T.
Once your child or teen is registered, there are no refunds or transfers. Refunds
are made only for classes canceled by CFK&T. This policy is specific to College for Kids & Teens and does not apply to any School of Continuing Education courses.
To ensure a pleasant and safe experience for you and your child(ren), please read the following:
- Familiarize yourself with UW-Milwaukee campus prior to the start of classes.
- Outside of the supervised chaperone service between classes, you are responsible for students at any point of the day that they are not enrolled in class or in before/after care. If you would like the student to meet you at a different location on campus, sign the parental consent form allowing the student to leave unattended (orange band). Please make sure you sign in at the appropriate location or children will have to stay with our staff.
- Wristbands are mandatory and are required at all times during the program. Wristbands indicate that participants are in our program and also include our phone number. We may be reached at 414-940-1896. UWM campus police (4627) may be reached from any campus phone. Campus phones are located throughout each building.
- “Blue Light” emergency phones are located throughout campus. These phones are direct lines to UWM campus police.
Each summer, at least 100 children can’t attend due to lack of money. These children’s names are placed on a waiting list. Unfortunately, very few are accommodated. We are working very hard to match those in need with donor sponsors. One of our goals is to eliminate the summer waiting list. For more information, please call 414-227-3360.
College for Kids & Teens supervises students only while they are enrolled in class or when they are registered for before/after care. Students enrolled in back-to-back classes or before/after care are chaperoned to their next destinations. No extended supervision (longer than the 30 minutes between consecutive class times) is available between 9am-4pm for those not enrolled in class during any part of the day.
Students who are enrolled in back-to-back classes will be supervised in the Union Terrace. Please make sure they have a snack or lunch with them each day. There is an inside cafeteria at which they can purchase food and snacks – but only if they have an orange wristband indicating they can leave unattended. For security, all instructors and staff will wear a lanyard with a name badge.
Before and After Care
Early morning drop-off: 7:30-9am, $30/week or $50/two-week session.
Late afternoon pick-up: 4-5:30pm, $30/week or $50/two-week session.
To register for before/after care visit Program Areas.
If you are interested in teaching in the College for Kids & Teens Program, please submit your completed course proposal and vita/resume to email@example.com. For more information, please contact us at 414-227-3360.
If registering for six or more classes, please use discount code CFK6PLUS to receive 15 percent off. This does not include before/after care.
CFK&T will provide color-coded bands in order to easily identify our students on campus. These are similar to those used at amusement parks. Wristbands are color-coded and tell the staff what privileges your child has, such as leaving campus unattended or participating in before and/or after care. Wristbands are provided on the first day of a session or discovery camp and are to be worn each day of participation in the program. If your child is enrolled in more than one session, he/she can receive a new band at the beginning of each session.
At the beginning of a new session, please turn in the old wristband for a new one. It is your responsibility to make sure your child wears the wristband every day. The colors indicate to our staff what privileges each child has, such as leaving campus unattended or not being included in pictures. Children are not allowed to participate in class without a wristband to verify their enrollment.
If your child has lost or left their wristband at home, they will need to pay $3 to get a replacement bands. Orange band replacement will be $20. Replacement fees need to be paid before the student can go to class. If someone does not have money for the replacement of an orange band they will lose all orange band privileges until they have paid the replacement fee.
Please review the CFK&T Newsletter for information on the summer program.