The School of Continuing Education (SCE) at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee seeks a Program Manager for professional development programs in business. The person in this position plans, develops, markets, delivers and evaluates programs for businesses, industry, other professionals and targeted constituencies. The position is part of a self-supporting unit and includes a revenue-generation requirement. The position is located at UWM’s downtown Milwaukee continuing education facility.
UWM SCE offers educational opportunities via traditional classroom interaction, online and blended instruction including educational seminars, short courses, workshops, and certificate programs on a range of topics.
The Business & Technology (B&T) Department at the School of Continuing Education is the largest provider of business professional development programs in Southeastern Wisconsin. Program topics span Business Analysis, Data Analysis, Digital Marketing, Human Resources and Organizational Development, Nonprofit Management, Leadership Development, Management, Project Management, the Women Leaders Conference and more. The B&T Department runs approximately 350 courses per year and serves nearly 3000 participants. This includes open-enrollment programs at UWM’s continuing education/conference center as well as those that are custom-designed to meet specific needs of organizations.
The Associate Outreach Specialist develops and manages new and existing professional development instruction, identifies training needs and manages certificate programs in the Business and Technology program areas. Under general supervision, and with the support of internal departments, this position is expected to perform a wide variety of duties, exercise good judgment and demonstrate a high level of professionalism and effectiveness. Communication and working with instructors, participants, staff and student workers are critical to the success of the program area.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Research, Program Development and Evaluation
- Conducts needs analysis using various methods such as interviews, surveys, market research and evaluations of current programs.
- Develops strategic program plan and budget via research and review of existing offerings and industry trends.
- Sources, interviews, hires and evaluates program instructors.
- Encourages and develops potential customized training opportunities and works with the customized sales group in program delivery.
- Uses online learning platforms for programs when online and blended programs are appropriate for curriculum and audience.
- Schedules programs, instructors, guest speakers, and facilities
- Ensures revenue and profitability goals are met
- Develops and manages online courses, including existing course offerings, and support for online instructors. Stays current on tools that can be used for online learning.
- Sources and acquires instructors and instructional materials
- Manages participant enrollments, transfers and billing of third party funders.
- Meets and engages participants in SCE program, (opens and closes classes, advises participant students)
- Responds to client requests for program content information
- Plans, creates and executes marketing with internal marketing staff as part of strategy maximize enrollments in assigned program areas.
- Gathers and analyzes market on industry changes, demand for training and competitors.
- Assesses participant needs through post-training evaluations, surveys and direct contact
- Builds relationships with organizations and associations relevant to program areas
- Works with internal marketing department to create and edit marketing materials such as brochures, emails, website and social media content.
- Maintains the SCE website for each program area
- Coordinates/assists program administration, including Registration, Conference Services, Program Support, and others responsible for executing tasks relating to classroom activities
- Oversees and maintains program entries in the registration system.
- Directs the work of Support Staff (LTE staff) who perform program support and administrative duties.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum three years related professional experience
- Demonstrated experience in program development and/or program management
- Demonstrated customer service skills with internal and external clients
- Excellent collaborative, communication skills including the ability to effectively interact with diverse populations.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite software: Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint
- Ability to maintain flexible hours including occasional evenings and weekends when necessary to support programs.
- Master’s Degree in related field.
- Experience in an adult higher education or training environment
- Knowledge and experience with business and management
- Certification in business area such as HR, Training, Project Management, Business Analysis or other.
- Strong organizational, planning, analytical, and problem solving skills
- SHRM or HRCI certified
- Demonstrated experience in marketing programs via electronic and traditional methods
- Experience using learning management systems and web safe technology
- Proven experience managing budgets and/or generating revenue through educational programs
SALARY RANGE THREE: $36,790 (min) $47,102 (mid) $57,414 (max) based on qualifications and experience. This position has excellent fringe benefits including four weeks annual vacation.
TYPE OF APPOINTMENT: This is a full time, fixed-term academic staff position, renewable annually.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: This is a continuous recruitment with the initial screening of candidates to begin December 2, 2019. Applications received after December 1, 2019 may not receive consideration.
HOW TO APPLY:
All applicants are required to apply online. UWM will not consider paper, emailed or faxed applications. The following link will take you directly to our position:
Additionally, applicants must complete all required fields and attach any required documents. Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three professional references. Your cover letter and resume must address your qualifications, experience and knowledge as it specifically relates to the minimum and preferred qualifications of the position as well as why you are interested in applying for this position.
UWM is an AA/EO employer: All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or protected veteran status.
UWM provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. Employment opportunities will not be denied because of the need to make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual with a disability. If you need assistance or accommodation in applying because of a disability, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 414-229-4463. This job announcement and other material on this site will be made available in alternate formats upon request to an individual with a disability.
Confidentiality of Applicant Materials
UWM is a State agency and subject to Wisconsin’s Open Records Law. UWM will not, however, reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing except as may be required by Wisconsin’s Open Records law. In certain circumstances, the identities of “final candidates” and/or the identity of the appointed applicant must be revealed upon request.
CBC and Reference Check Policy
Employment will require a criminal background check. UWM takes the prevention of sexual misconduct seriously. As such, you and your references will be required to answer questions regarding any past findings of sexual violence and sexual harassment or any pending allegations of sexual violence or sexual harassment.
Annual Security and Fire Safety Report (Clery Act)
For the UWM Annual Security and Fire Safety Reports (i.e., Clery Report), which includes statistics about reported crimes and information about campus security policies, see http://www.cleryact.uwm.edu/, or call UWM’s Dean of Students Office, Student Union 345 at (414) 229-4632 for a paper copy.
In compliance with federal law, all persons at the time of their start date will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.