Understanding Data in Organizations
Everywhere data is found, you will find people trying to harness that data for the benefit of their business, organization, department or projects. This course helps you learn how people, computers and processes collect, understand and transform data to better equip organizations to win in a competitive environment. You also gain an understanding of how data moves through organizations, and learn approaches for getting the right data to the right users.
Richard Lundell is the data administration manager at Baird, a global financial services firm based in Milwaukee. Rick has more than 25 years of experience in education, data management, relationship building and leadership. Rick’s career trajectory is unique, but follows ... read more
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Use and define key data management terms.
- Create and pose precise data management questions aimed at increasing understanding and driving towards specific business goals.
- Identify areas of data management within their organization for possible improvement.
- Communicate process-flow and people-flow information to improve business efficiency.
- Why do organizations care about data? Different groups for different reasons.
- Business management
- Project management
- Database administration
- IT security
- Auditors and regulators
- Exercise: Who do I involve in this data conversation? What roles?
- How to get data work done
- Challenges of silos and departments
- Project management approaches
- Exercise: What is the best way to run this data work?
- Understanding data flow in an organization
- Data created by the organization
- Data from outside the organization
- How data moves and why
- Exercise: How do I get the right data to the right users?
- From data to intelligence: From spreadsheets to business intelligence, big data, and the internet of things
- How to create intelligence and decisions out of data: Today
- How to create intelligence and decisions out of data: Tomorrow
- Exercise: What could the next step in evolution of this data product/service be?
- What does “data-driven organization” mean?
- How does the focus on data change organizations, their cultures and their success?
"The content was interesting and Rick was very engaging and entertaining. Thought provoking topics helped to identify some organizational issues in my own work." — Clint Herbert, DCF-DMCPS, Program and Policy Analyst-Advanced, 2018
All sessions are Face-to-Face unless otherwise noted.
Date: Tue, Nov 19
Location: UWM School of Continuing Education
Instructor: Richard Lundell PhD
$425 by Tue., Nov. 5.
$450 after Tue., Nov. 5.
CEUs: 0.7, PDCs: 7
Enrollment Limit: 24
Program Number: 5027-11935
Registration Deadline: Tue., Nov. 19