Traditional to Agile Methodologies
Through real-world application, learn tools and techniques of software development and project management methodologies. Explore the benefits and downfalls of Waterfall, Interactive/Incremental, Phase/Gate, Lean, Kanban, Agile, Scrum, SAFe and Flex.
Understand how scope, product complexity, budget, resources, time and quality all contribute to determining if a methodology is right for your project.
Sally has over 20 years of experience leading teams to deliver high quality technical solutions that meet business needs. Her areas of expertise include: Building, developing and coaching high performing technology teams to meet business goals and objectives. Creating performance ... read more
Who Should Attend
- Project Managers
- Business Analysts
- PMO Managers
- Business Managers
- IT Directors
- Software Developers
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Understand the pros and cons of various software development and project management methodologies, including Agile, Waterfall, Lean, Iterative, SAFe, Scrum, Kanban and Leanban
- Evaluate your environment to determine the best methodology for your company, team and project
- Improve your personal agility to flex and adapt existing methodologies to mitigate project risk and maximize project success
- Apply what you learn through practical application of a project simulation which utilizes and compares and contrasts tools and techniques from both traditional and Agile methodologies.
- Concept Introductions and Environment Context
- Types of Work: Portfolio, Program, Project
- Projects and Deliverables (Product, Service, Result)
- Methodology Overview
- Phase (Stage) Gate
- Agile – what it is, and what it isn’t
- Project Execution Factors
- Scope – Project and Product Scope and how it impacts execution methodology
- Vision, Goals, Outcomes and Deliverables
- Defining Your Project
- Traditional and Agile Visualization of WBS
- Traditional and Agile Estimation
- Stakeholder Analysis and Communication
- Scoping Secret Weapons
- Assumptions and Constraints
"I most appreciated that there was time dedicated to the theory/definitions/methodology and the more practical/real-world discussion. The instructor was very knowledgeable and encouraged class participation." — Jahnavi Acharya, Rockwell Automation, 2018 participant
"Good explanation of most widely used methodologies." — Christa McCarthy, Assurant Health
All sessions are Face-to-Face unless otherwise noted.
Date: Thu-Fri, May 14-15
Location: UWM School of Continuing Education
Instructor: Sally Anlin PMP, CSM
$845 by Thu., Apr. 30.
$895 after Thu., Apr. 30.
CEUs: 1.4, PDUs: 14, PD Hours: 14, CDUs: 14
Enrollment Limit: 24
Program Number: 5027-12073
Registration Deadline: Thu., May 14