Learning Experience Design for Online Courses and Training
Discover the fundamentals of learning experience design (LXD) for creating engaging, learner-centered, and impactful online and blended instruction. This course covers advanced strategies based on learning science research, design thinking practices and innovative instructional technology applications for designing online learning experiences for today’s modern learners. The course includes a combination of self-study modules, live virtual interactive sessions and personalized mini-projects. You will take your instructional design skills to a higher level and immediately apply what you learn to your professional practice.
Les Howles is an emeritus faculty associate with over 30 years of experience in distance education, eLearning, media production and instructional design. He has held several positions at the University of Wisconsin-Madison including director of Distance Education Professional Development, team ... read more
Who Should Attend
- Instructors and trainers
- Instructional designers
- Learning and talent development leaders
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- In completing this course you will:
- Develop a practical understanding of learning experience design (LXD) and how to upgrade your current instructional design practices for modern learners and new digital learning environments.
- Apply an LXD framework, based on learning science, that integrates the cognitive, emotional, behavioral and social dimensions of learning in a holistic way.
- Adopt a learner and task-centered mindset throughout the learning design process to optimize learner engagement and performance outcomes.
- Apply design thinking practices to envision new kinds of instructional interactions and learning solutions that take full advantage of the capabilities of available digital tools for teaching and learning.
- Apply the LXD strategies to create work-related prototype solutions for refinement during and after the course.
- Week 1: Introduction and Application of the LXD Approach
- Core elements of online learning experiences (structure and psychodynamics)
- Making the shift from conventional instructional design to LXD
- Applying design thinking to the LXD process
- An integrated LXD framework for designing online learning
- Factors that influence engagement and deep learning in online environments
- Designing learner and task-centered interfaces, content structures and motivational elements
- Exploring affordances of new technology tools for designing hybridized content interactions
- Individual/team project work
Week 2: Designing Impactful Online Learning Activities and Social Interactions
- Designing online activities to promote active and deep learning
- Engagement strategies including contextualization and scenario-based learning
- Designing online social interactions that support knowledge and skill development
- Feedback strategies for enhancing learner agency and motivation
- Evaluating and assessing learning outcomes, impact, and ROI
- Challenges and strategies for implementing LXD in various work contexts
- Personal project reviews and debriefings
This fully online two-week course consists of:
- Introductory prework (1 hr.)
- Live virtual classes (four 2-hour sessions, 8 hrs.)
- Online self-study modules with mini-projects (4 hrs.)
- Online discussion forum participation (optional 1 hr.)
- Mini prototype project work (4 hrs.)
Estimated total: 16-18 hours
This course requires completing assignments prior to each of the four live virtual class sessions.
Date: 2 Tue & Thu, Feb 15-24
Delivery Method: Live Online
Time: 9-11am CT
Instructor: Les Howles
$845 by Feb 1
$895 after Feb 1
Enrollment Limit: 18
Program Number: 5040-14227
Note: This course starts on February 15 and runs through February 24. Live online sessions take place on 2/15, 2/17, 2/22 and 2/24 from 9-11am CT.
Registration Deadline: Feb 11