Solution-Focused Business Professional
The powerful and pragmatic Solution-Focused (SF) approach, originally developed for therapy, is now being used by organizations around the world. SF is a radically simple, effective and proven approach to change. SF is all about building on what’s working, not fixing what isn’t. It can help build progress in the toughest situation, even where other problem-solving methods fail to give traction.
In this 16-week online course, you work directly with Solution Focus pioneer Mark McKergow. Through his expert instruction, you can gain full understanding of the SF approach, necessary tools for adopting SF practices and real-life applications for your new skills.
Important Note: The required textbook is listed below and can be purchased at most local and online bookstores. All other course materials will be provided online.
“The Solutions Focus: Making Coaching and Change SIMPLE,”
Paul Z. Jackson and Mark McKergow. London: Nicolas Brealey, 2007.
Note: Please ensure that you have the SECOND edition (purple cover) and not the older first edition (black cover).
Who Should Attend
- Managers – learn how to quickly build positive change in a wide range of work settings, using the practical Solutions Tools model
- Coaches – learn how to effectively use dialogue to build motivation, clarity and rapid action with even the most difficult customers
- Consultants – be able to base everything from team challenges to strategic reviews in the positive and pragmatic power of what’s working already
- Facilitators – find processes and tools to use with the most challenging groups
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Gain real insights into the SF approach at both practical and conceptual levels
- Quickly build positive change in a wide range of work settings, using the six Solutions Tools
- Know where to concentrate your efforts to be most effective by using the six SIMPLE principles
- Tackle projects and difficult assignments with confidence as a manager, coach, consultant or leader
- Demonstrate your competence in building solutions in one-on-one and group settings
- Practice a methodology with wide applicability – to individuals, teams and whole organizations, in all kinds of contexts
- Build on your coaching skills and tackle a real workplace project using the SF approach
- Develop a ‘piece of work’ for international review and accreditation from SFCT (optional)
- Week 1 (3.5hrs): Introduction: What Do We Mean by Solution-Focused?
- Week 2 (3hrs): SIMPLE Principles and Tools Introduction: Elseing and Affirm Tool, Possibilities from Past, Present and Future
- Week 3 (3hrs): Future Perfect Tool, and the Difference between Future Perfects, Goals and Targets
- Week 4 (3hrs): Platform Tool and the Customer for Change
- Week 5 (3hrs): Scaling and Counters Tools
- Week 6 (3hrs): Small Actions and Putting the Tools Together (Plus Start Full-On Coaching Relationships between Participants)
- Week 7 (3hrs): Tools for Teams
- Week 8 (4hrs): SF and OD: Organizational Change Contexts / Mid-Point Check-In
- Week 9 (3hrs): In Between, Not Individual: The Interactional View, Emergence and Complexity
- Week 10 (3hrs): SF and Performance Reviews/Appraisals
- Week 11 (3hrs): SF Reflecting Teams in Action
- Week 12 (3hrs): SF, Leadership and the Leader as Host
- Week 13 (3hrs): Wittgenstein and Narrative Emergence
- Week 14 (3hrs): Connections/Differences with Other Approaches: NLP, Appreciative Inquiry, Positive Psychology, etc.
- Week 15 (3hrs): Solution-Focused Evaluations
- Week 16 (3.5hrs): Closing Review: What’s Better?
Access to Course Site
Look for an email approximately one week prior to the course start date with instructions on setting up your username and password and how to access the online course site.
This is an instructor-facilitated, online, asynchronous (self-paced) course. You are required to have regular access to a computer with an internet connection (with the recommendation of having a high-speed connection such as DSL or cable modem). You are also required to have a recent version of Microsoft Office Suite or comparable program to include Microsoft Word (word processing), Excel (spreadsheets), and PowerPoint (presentations) in order to both view and create documents needed to participate in this course.
Each week you receive readings and assignments to complete. Each week you are expected to log in and complete assignments within the deadlines given in order to be awarded CEUs and the certificate of completion. However, within the deadline, you can complete the readings and assignments at your leisure.
Certificates of Completion are mailed within two weeks after the last day of class.
"I discovered new materials and writings, six new training exercises and I developed some of my own, too." — SFBP Participant
"I now have all the skills and tools to handle assignments in demanding situations like team coaching and organizational consulting." — SFBP Participant
Date: Oct 25, 2020-Feb 14, 2021
Delivery Method: Online
Instructor: Mark McKergow PhD
Enrollment Limit: 20
Program Number: 7740-12927
Registration Deadline: Oct 25Registration deadline has passed.
Date: Mar 22-July 19, 2021
Delivery Method: Online
Instructor: Mark McKergow PhD
$1,595 by Mar 8, 2021
$1,795 after Mar 8, 2021
CEUs: 5.0, CEHs: 50
Enrollment Limit: 30
Program Number: 7740-13424
Registration Deadline: Mar 22, 2021