Quality and Testing Foundations
Project teams are charged with delivering quality products that meet the business needs of stakeholders. So it is critical that they plan for effective evaluation of the solution. In this course, you learn the fundamentals of quality and proving success through testing. Since every organization is unique, this course explores the many possible roles project team members may take in testing and ensuring quality.
Robert Gormley is chief essentialist and solutions architect of continuous quality for Expleo USA where he brings total quality management strategy to large and small companies through the implementation of efficient and effective testing. He has 18-plus years of quality ... read more
Who Should Attend
Individuals involved with information technology projects learn the fundamentals of testing in order to build quality into their projects. Examples include: business analysts, project managers, data analysts and quality assurance team members.
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Describe the fundamentals of quality and the role of testing
- Understand testing techniques and when to use them
- Create a strategic test plan to ensure project goals have been met
- Distinguish the roles in testing execution
- Identify quality metrics that measure project success
- Build a set of lessons learned to apply to your workplace
Where Is Your Organization in Driving Quality?
- Waterfall testing – all at the end
- Agile testing – at the end of each sprint
- Comprehensive test cases are being written
- There are clear responsibilities for unit testing, regression, system testing, testing across applications, end-to-end testing including external integrations
- There is a separate QA group who does everything related to testing
- Backlog of defects continues to grow
- We allow zero defects when we deploy a project
The Value of Testing
Testing Techniques and When to Use Them
- Functional vs nonfunctional
Creating a Strategic Test Plan
- Ensuring that end product fulfills project charter
- Risk analysis
Pitfalls of Testing
- Failure to include data that can be measured
- Project timeline
Testing Execution and the Project Team Roles
- Ensuring data for key metrics is built into the solution
- Tying use cases to test cases
- Waterfall vs agile
- Effective manual testing
- Effective automated testing
- Feedback loop
- Planning for defect resolution
Quality Metrics – What Does Success Look Like?
Takeaways to Bring Back to Your Organization
All sessions are Face-to-Face unless otherwise noted.