Advanced Techniques for Managing Multiple Projects
Learn the tools and techniques to establish and enhance project portfolio management in your organization.
Project portfolio management is essential to ensure that your projects and programs are supportive of your organization’s strategic objectives. In the portfolio management environment, there is a predefined process for selecting projects and a uniform process for evaluating their success.
The PMI Authorized Training Partner logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
As a speaker, mentor, educator, consultant, author and project manager, Sandra Hoskins is committed to working with people who want to create excellence in their life, whether at work, home, play or in their community. Sandra’s passions are project management ... read more
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Communicate key concepts and terms used in a portfolio management organization
- Discuss and analyze different portfolio management models
- Employ a process for implementing project portfolio management in your organization
- Develop and manage a personal project portfolio
• What is a portfolio?
• What is project portfolio management?
• Why is portfolio management important?
• Where do best practices originate?
• What difference does the industry make?
• What difference does the organization make?
• Do regulated industries have an easier time?
The Organization & PPM
• Determining organizational governance
• Establishing project governance
• Communicating the business case for PPM
• Identifying optimal versus best practices for PPM
• Creating a comprehensive portfolio
• Identifying the stakeholders
Implementing Project Portfolio Management Protocols and Practice
• What are the procedures and processes that are critical to implementing a PPM process?
• Creating a project inventory
• Developing criteria to evaluate projects
• Categorizing projects
• Developing a method to categorize projects
• Confirming project approval
• Establishing critical success measurements for PPM
• Establishing an organizational master schedule
Project Portfolio Management Models, Processes and Knowledge Areas
• Reviewing PPM knowledge areas & process groups
• Understanding project scoring models
• Identify key performance indicators
• Develop a ranking process for projects by category, criteria, budget or key performance indicator
Maintaining the Portfolio Management Protocol and Process
• Keeping up the protocol
• Managing the queue
• Reconciling results
• Continuing to reshaping the portfolio process
• Cancelling projects
• Dealing with pet projects
• Getting to strategic advantage
Project Management Foundations or equivalent experience.
"Program content was beyond my expectations! I liked the examples provided, real-time, real projects. Very relatable to my projects." — Carol Schmidt, ATI Forged Products
"The class size allows you to interact more with the other students and instructor. The facility is wonderful and everyone is very friendly. I thoroughly enjoyed it." — Debra Mankowski, Wisconsin Reinsurance Corp., June 2019
Date: Wed.-Thurs., June 1, 2, 8, 9
Delivery Method: Live Online
Time: 8:00am - Noon CT
Instructor: Sandra Hoskins, ISP, ITCP, PMP, CSM
Enrollment Limit: 20
Program Number: 5025-14315
Note: Participants will receive instructions for logging into Canvas to access course materials and Zoom links approximately one week prior to first class.
Registration Deadline: June 1