First Steps to Starting a Business
Get the information and skills you need for starting a business.
During a fast-paced, three-hour course, you will:
- Assess the feasibility of your business idea
- Identify the risks and rewards of starting your business
- Receive tools to calculate start-up costs
- Learn important marketing strategies
- Explore legal considerations for starting a business
- Understand the value and content of a business plan
- Identify financial resources
Bring your questions, discuss concerns and network with other entrepreneurs. Start working on your business idea in class and leave with a wealth of information and resources. This course is geared towards those starting a small business (nonprofit topics are generally not covered in this session). Designed to get your ideas out of your head and onto paper, the course specifically helps you get organized and determine where you need the most help.
The next step is the Entrepreneurial Training Program, where you can take all of your preplanning and apply it to writing your business plan. Feel free to fill out a request for assistance after the First Steps class to discuss further plans for your idea through no-cost consulting.
Jason E. Mueller is responsible for the Small Business Development Center’s (SBDC) education programs for entrepreneurs and established business owners. He also works with local professional organizations to develop small business education curriculum, ensuring that the Milwaukee business community has ... read more
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
- Identify where you need extra assistance and resources to help you
- Understand what it takes to become an entrepreneur, and decide whether it’s the right path for you
- Receive an overview of elements in a business plan and how you can begin working on your own
- Readiness Assessment
- Product/Service Offering
- Startup Cost Assessment
- List Competitors
- Resources for permits/requirements
- Additional outlets for support
"The class gave us a real sense of direction and the encouragement we need to get started." — Donna & Dan Romani
"A great way to get a brief yet detailed overview all while being in a comfortable non-intimidating environment!" — Lindsee Ollman
Dates and locations to be announced.