New Manager/Supervisor Certificate
“Front Line Manager: The first or second level managers (line managers, office managers, supervisors) directly responsible for the production of goods and services, and supervision of clerical staff and shop floor employees.” – Businessdictionary.com
Specifically designed for new managers and frontline supervisors, this four-week program builds critical skills in Performance Management, Employee Development, Employee Engagement and Employee Productivity.
This program provides training and on-the-job practice in four cornerstones for managing people and teams: Performance Management, Employee Development, Employee Engagement and Employee Productivity. Completing this certificate gives you proficiency and confidence performing the skills essential to these four foundations.
- Role of a manager/supervisor
- Coaching, feedback and conflict management
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Time management
To support your proficiency and confidence in your role, this hands-on program includes:
- Four days of face-to-face, classroom instruction
- Action plans to be implemented on the job
- Templates/forms and other resources that can be used back at your job
- One optional coaching session during the program
- One optional coaching session up to eight weeks beyond completion of the program
For individuals, or we can bring this training to your organization’s work site.
Curriculum Requirements: Earn the New Manager/Supervisor Certificate by completing four core courses and assigned online and on-the-job activities over four weeks.
See the New Manager/Supervisor Course Page for the course outline.
Earn the New Manager / Supervisor Certificate from Wisconsin’s premier public, urban university. Increase your skills, earning potential and value in the workplace.
Rodney (Buck) Hillestad is founder and president of Hillestad Learning Technologies, a training and development company specializing in training design and delivery, along with leadership/managerial, and team skills. Buck regularly delivers classes for the University of Wisconsin extensions and is ... read more
Who Should Attend
Newly promoted or prospective supervisors/managers, existing supervisors/managers who want to improve their skills and entrepreneurs new to supervising staff. This program is most beneficial for those new to their manager/supervisor role or those who have not had the benefit of formal management training.
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
The New Manager / Supervisor Certificate program provides training and practice in the skills and techniques you will use to:
- Successfully transition into a new manager/supervisor role
- Set clear expectations and effectively manage employee performance
- Communicate effectively in a variety of situations
- Support employees with effective performance feedback and coaching
- Continuously develop employees to improve their productivity and engagement
- Adapt your management style to changing employees and business conditions
- Delegate responsibility to grow employee capability and autonomy
- Manage time and work to balance employee growth with business needs
- Practice and model efficient problem-solving and critical thinking
- Sustain healthy trust-based relationships with employees and management
Date: 4 Thu, Mar 14-Apr 4
Location: UWM School of Continuing Education
Instructor: Rodney (Buck) Hillestad
CEUs: 2.8, PDCs: 28
Enrollment Limit: 30
Program Number: 5050-11465
Registration Deadline: Thu., Mar. 14Registration deadline has passed.