New Manager/Supervisor Certificate
“Front Line Manager: The first or second level managers (line managers, office managers, supervisors) directly responsible for the production of goods and services, and supervision of clerical staff and shop floor employees.” – Businessdictionary.com
Specifically designed for new managers and frontline supervisors, this four-week program builds critical skills in Performance Management, Employee Development, Employee Engagement and Employee Productivity.
This program provides training and on-the-job practice in four cornerstones for managing people and teams: Performance Management, Employee Development, Employee Engagement and Employee Productivity. Completing this certificate gives you proficiency and confidence performing the skills essential to these four foundations.
- Role of a manager/supervisor
- Coaching, feedback and conflict management
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Time management
To support your proficiency and confidence in your role, this hands-on program includes:
- Four days of face-to-face, classroom instruction
- Action plans to be implemented on the job
- Templates/forms and other resources that can be used back at your job
- One optional coaching session during the program
- One optional coaching session up to eight weeks beyond completion of the program
For individuals, or we can bring this training to your organization’s work site.
Curriculum Requirements: Earn the New Manager/Supervisor Certificate by completing four core courses and assigned online and on-the-job activities over four weeks.
See the New Manager/Supervisor Course Page for the course outline.
Earn the New Manager / Supervisor Certificate from Wisconsin’s premier public, urban university. Increase your skills, earning potential and value in the workplace.
Mark is a senior expert in management and leadership development with over 25 years in practice across industries including financial services, engineering, manufacturing, telecommunications, and retail. He specializes in helping business leaders master talent development best practices to drive performance ... read more
Rodney (Buck) Hillestad is founder and president of Hillestad Learning Technologies, a training and development company specializing in training design and delivery, along with leadership/managerial, and team skills. Buck regularly delivers classes for the University of Wisconsin extensions and is ... read more
Who Should Attend
Newly promoted or prospective supervisors/managers, existing supervisors/managers who want to improve their skills and entrepreneurs new to supervising staff. This program is most beneficial for those new to their manager/supervisor role or those who have not had the benefit of formal management training.
Benefits and Learning Outcomes
The New Manager / Supervisor Certificate program provides training and practice in the skills and techniques you will use to:
- Successfully transition into a new manager/supervisor role
- Set clear expectations and effectively manage employee performance
- Communicate effectively in a variety of situations
- Support employees with effective performance feedback and coaching
- Continuously develop employees to improve their productivity and engagement
- Adapt your management style to changing employees and business conditions
- Delegate responsibility to grow employee capability and autonomy
- Manage time and work to balance employee growth with business needs
- Practice and model efficient problem-solving and critical thinking
- Sustain healthy trust-based relationships with employees and management
Date: 4 Thu, Mar 14-Apr 4
Location: UWM School of Continuing Education
$1,999 by Thu., Feb. 28.
$2,249 after Thu., Feb. 28.
CEUs: 2.8, PDCs: 28
Enrollment Limit: 30
Program Number: 5050-11465
Registration Deadline: Thu., Mar. 14