Enrollment Policies

Enrollment Eligibility

There are generally three types of students who are eligible to enroll at UWM: continuing, re-entry, and new.

Continuing students are students who completed the preceding term in good or probationary academic standing, including those who withdrew from the preceding term.  Continuing students are automatically eligible to enroll in upcoming semesters.  Once students apply to graduate and earn a degree in a semester, they are no longer considered continuing and must be re-admitted into a new degree or non-degree program to be eligible for further enrollment.

Re-entry students are students who have not enrolled at UWM for two consecutive fall/spring terms, or more, but did not earn a degree in their last semester of enrollment.  Re-entry students must be readmitted to UWM prior to becoming eligible to enroll.

New students are students who are newly admitted to a degree or non-degree program at UWM.  New freshmen students are required to initially enroll during New Student Orientation.  New transfer students are required to pay a confirmation deposit prior to becoming eligible to enroll.

You can use PAWS to check your eligibility to enroll.  Items to check include:

  • Holds – View this section in the upper right hand corner of your PAWS Student Center.  You will have a hold that prevents enrollment if you owe money or are required to see an advisor prior to adding classes.  Click on the details link to view additional information about any holds that appear on your record.
  • To Do List – View this section in the right hand column of your PAWS Student Center.  Undergraduate applicants can check their To Do List for important information related to their admission status.
  • Term Activation – Click on the Enroll link that appears in the Academics section of your PAWS Student Center to view current and upcoming terms for which you have been activated.  Please note that the Registrar’s Office starts activating students in April for the upcoming fall term, October for the upcoming UWinteriM term, November for the upcoming spring term, and March for the upcoming summer term.
  • Enrollment Appointment – View this section in the right hand column of your PAWS Student Center.  The day/time that’s listed indicates the point at which you can begin enrolling in classes for the specified term.


Enrollment Appointments

Before the Open Enrollment date when all eligible active students are able to register for classes, a Priority Enrollment Period allows eligible students the opportunity to enroll in their classes first. These students are assigned Enrollment Appointments in PAWS, which indicate the earliest date and time that they can begin enrolling in classes. The Priority Enrollment Period runs for about three weeks before the start of a Fall or Spring semester and one week before the start of a winter or summer session.

Continuing and eligible new students will be assigned an Enrollment Appointment, which they can view in their PAWS Student Center about one week before the Priority Enrollment Period begins. New transfer students will receive an Enrollment Appointment once their transfer work posts to their PAWS account. New Freshmen enroll either during New Student Orientation or with their Academic Advisor and do not receive an Enrollment Appointment.

Effective Summer 2013, Enrollment Appointments are scheduled in the following order as established by UWM Faculty Policy. Military Service students receive priority through Wisconsin Act 56 (2013).

Graduate Students:

  1. Graduate Dissertator & Prelim students
  2. Degree-Seeking Graduate students
  3. Non-Degree Graduate students

Undergraduate Students:

  1. Honors College, NCAA, Military Service, Select Accessibility Resource Center students & Dance/Cheer Team students
  2. Degree-Seeking Seniors & Post-Baccalaureate & Certificate Undergraduates
  3. Degree-Seeking Juniors
  4. Degree-Seeking Sophomores
  5. Degree-Seeking Freshmen
  6. Non-Degree (Special) Undergraduate students
  7. 60+ Auditor students

The Enrollment Appointment order within the groups listed is based on the number of total earned credits. If students within a group have the same number of total earned credits, for instance, two Degree-Seeking Seniors with 90 total earned credits, their Enrollment Appointments would be assigned randomly. Since the number of students who can be given a single appointment day/time is limited, there is a chance that two students with the same number of total earned credits could have Enrollment Appointments scheduled for different days/times.

To maintain adequate PAWS system performance, Enrollment Appointments for Fall and Spring terms are assigned to groups of 100-125 students in 30-minute intervals. Time slots run from 8:00 am to 5:30 pm on business days, and are never scheduled on weekends, holidays, or any day when the university is closed.


Many courses have prerequisites which you are expected to satisfy prior to enrollment. Typical examples include a certain year in school (“Junior Standing”), other specific courses (“Physics 201”), a particular placement test score, admission to a particular major, or consent of the instructor.

Instructors have the right to enforce prerequisite requirements and may deny or permit enrollment accordingly.

Certain courses cannot be taken out of sequence. You can always check the prerequisites of a course ahead of time to find out if you’ll lose credit for taking a course out of sequence.

If you do not meet the prerequisites for a specific course but feel that you are academically prepared to take the course anyway, you can request permission from the course instructor or department. Generally, if you do not meet prerequisites for a class you will not be able to enroll yourself in it using PAWS. In this case, you will receive an error message stating that consent or permission is required.

If you do not meet a course prerequisite but have been able to enroll anyway, you may be administratively dropped from the course or you may be required to drop the course.

  • Drop a course as soon as you know you can’t remain in the class. It is the student’s responsibility to drop any classes for which they do not meet published prerequisites.
  • Do not wait for the department to complete an administrative drop, as fees for dropped classes are based on the date you drop the class in PAWS or the date your drop form is submitted to the Registrar’s Office.

If a course requires one or more prerequisites, details are listed in the notes section in the Schedule of Classes or under the class description in PAWS.

Prerequisite Abbreviations
(P) Prerequisite A course in which a student is required to earn credit prior to being allowed to enroll in a subsequent higher-level course.
(NP) Non-repeatable Prerequisite A prerequisite course for which the student is not permitted to substitute the grade earned when the course is repeated subsequent to earning credit in the higher-level course.
(C) Co-requisite A course which may be taken as either a prerequisite or as a concurrent registration with the higher-level course.
(NC) Non-repeatable Co-requisite A co-requisite course for which the student is not permitted to substitute the grade earned when the course is repeated subsequent to earning credit in the higher-level course
(R) Recommended Course A course which the instructor strongly recommends be taken prior to enrollment in a subsequent course.
(ER) Enrollment Restriction A course which is not open for enrollment to students that have earned credits in a specified course (or courses) with similar or overlapping content.

Course Repeats

Unless a restriction is stated in the Schedule of Classes, undergraduates may repeat a course only once, and only the higher of the two grades will be calculated into the student’s grade point average (GPA). Both attempts will appear on the student’s transcript.

It is generally advisable for any student to consult an advisor before enrolling to repeat a course.

If the UWM course repeats a course for which the student received transfer credit, the UWM course will be calculated into the GPA regardless of whether the UWM course grade is higher or lower. Both attempts will appear on the transcript. Once a bachelor’s degree has been earned, the academic career (credits, GPA, and coursework) starts over with any subsequent enrollment and the original record cannot be altered. Courses taken after the bachelor’s degree has been earned do not count as repeats of courses taken prior to the posting of the degree.

The single repeat limit applies to all courses, including courses taken for audit or with the credit/no credit option. Under exceptional circumstances additional repeats may be allowed following approval of a written appeal to the advising office of the student’s school or college. Departments offering the course have the right to establish special guidelines for additional repeats. Any special guidelines must apply to all students and shall be maintained, published, and enforced by the Registrar’s Office.

As noted in the university’s policy on repeated courses, course repeats beyond the allowable limit must be approved by the student’s advising office. Effective as of Fall 2016, UWM’s College of Letters & Science and the Lubar School of Business have established additional guidelines requiring departmental approval for undergraduate students attempting classes offered by their academic units as well as the approval of the student’s academic unit.  Details on specific academic units requiring departmental approval for repeats after two attempts follow:

Published Guidelines for Repeats Beyond the Allowable Limit
Department Courses Effective Term Contact
Africology All Summer 2016 Erin Winkler
(414) 229-5080
American Indian Studies All Summer 2016 Cary Miller
Anthropology All Summer 2016 Jean Hudson
(414) 229-4175
Art History All Summer 2016 Richard Leson
(414) 229-4330
Biological Sciences All Spring 2016 Lapham #S181
(414) 229-4214
Business Administration All Summer 2015 Lubar #N297
(414) 229-5271
Chemistry & Biochemistry1 All Summer 2015 Chemistry 114
(414) 229-4411
Communication All Summer 2016 Leslie Harris
(414) 229-2271
Economics All Summer 2016 Rebecca Neumann
English 100, 101 & 102 Spring 2016 Debra Siebert
Curtin #408
(414) 229-6442
All others Summer 2016 Gilberto Blasini
(414) 229-5912
Film Studies All Summer 2016 Ben Schneider
(414) 229-4869
Foreign Languages and Literatures All Summer 2016 Michael Mikos
(414) 229-4949
French, Italian, and Comparative Literature All Summer 2016 Larry Kuiper
(414) 229-4382
Geography All Summer 2016 Glen Fredlund
(414) 229-6112
Geosciences All Summer 2016 Barry Cameron
(414) 229-3136
History All Summer 2016 Lisa Silverman
(414) 229-4316
Journalism, Advertising, and Media Studies All Summer 2016 David Pritchard
(414) 229-4436
Linguistics All Summer 2016 Garry Davis
(414) 229-4942
Math2 Students in UWM’s College of Letters & Science Spring 2017 L&S Advising
Holton 142
(414) 229-4654
Students in Other UWM Schools/Colleges Spring 2017 Refer to the Contact List for UWM Academic Advising Offices.
Philosophy All Summer 2016 William Bristow
(414) 229-4719
Physics All Summer 2015 physics-ugadvisor@uwm.edu
Political Science All Summer 2016 Kathleen Dolan
(414) 229-6468
Psychology3 All Summer 2016 Anna Morehouse
(414) 229-4746
Public and Nonprofit Administration All Summer 2016 Doug Irhke
(414) 229-4732
Sociology All Summer 2016 Donald Green
(414) 229-4259
Spanish and Portuguese 103, 104, 203 & 204 Spring 2016 Curtin #733
(414) 229-4257
300 to 500 level Spring 2016 Curtin #733
(414) 229-4257
All Others Spring 2016 Curtin #733
(414) 229-4257
Translation & Interpreting All Summer 2016 Lorena Terando
(414) 229-5968
Urban Studies All Summer 2016 Joel Rast
(414) 229-4751
Women’s and Gender Studies All Summer 2016 Kathy Miller-Dillon
(414) 229-5382

1. Students are permitted to attempt a single Chemistry or Biochemistry course or equivalent transfer course a maximum of three times.  Students seeking to enroll in the same course for a second repeat (third attempt) must be approved to do so by the course instructor and the Chemistry and Biochemistry Department by completing a permission form.
2. Third attempts at Math courses can be approved at the discretion of the student’s School/College advising unit. Fourth attempts will not be allowed.
3. The Psychology Department will allow students to retake a course twice (three attempts total). Per L&S procedures students must file a formal appeal to the department to be granted a second retake. This appeal can be filed using the online form found here. Appeals for additional retakes (more than two) will be considered by the Associate Chair and the course instructor and will be granted only in exceptional circumstances.

Exceptions to this policy are variable-topic courses which may be taken for credit as often as permitted for that particular course as specified in the Schedule of Classes. A variable-topic course may count as a repeat of a previously taken course only if the topic is identical to that of the student’s earlier enrollment and the repeat occurs within the same academic career.

Students who took a course as a repeat prior to fall 1988 are entitled to one additional enrollment. Transfer students who did not previously take a course at UWM are entitled to one repeat at UWM of a course taken at a previous institution.

If you have previously earned your degree from UWM, your attempted and earned credits as well as your cumulative GPA will start over with the courses you take in pursuit of your second degree. Courses taken as part of your first degree will not be considered repeats. Your original record cannot be altered.


Any non-degree seeking student or other individual who wishes to participate in a class at UWM without earning credit or pursuing a program should contact the Admissions Office.

If you audit a class, you won’t receive a grade or earn college credit for the class, and in most cases, you won’t be expected to take exams or prepare projects or term papers. Be sure to discuss course work and attendance requirements with your instructor during the first week of class. Course auditing is generally not permitted during UWinteriM.

Classes that require instructor consent to audit or never can be taken for audit are marked in the Schedule of Classes.

Listing of Courses that Never Allow Audit (Last Updated 08-13-2015)

Auditors of any class held in the Klotsche Center and Pavilion will need to register each semester at the University Recreation Information Center in the Klotsche Center & Pavilion. Auditors will be permitted to use the space in the building assigned to the class only during the actual meeting times of the class. The auditor will be permitted to enter the facility 30 minutes prior to the class start time.

In order to gain regular access to the Klotsche Center and Pavilion facilities, any auditor, dissertator, off-campus student, or other class participant who has not paid the mandatory student fee must do so in the Bursar Office. The mandatory student fee is dependent on corresponding credit load and must be received in full before usage of facilities.

Credit/No Credit Option

Some courses may be taken on a Credit/No Credit basis rather than for a letter grade. To be granted credit for a course that you’ve enrolled in with the Credit/No Credit option, you must earn a grade of C- or better.

Courses used to satisfy General Education Requirements and the English and math competencies may not be taken with the C/NC option. Schools and colleges with specific limitations on courses taken with the C/NC option are published below.

Some courses are offered on a C/NC basis only. These may be taken in addition to the published limits. C/NC courses are not counted in the GPA, but courses in which credit is earned will count toward graduation. Courses may be changed from a regular graded basis to C/NC or vice versa only during the same period as courses may be added. Only one such change may be made per semester per course.

University Special Students should contact an advisor in the Admissions Office for more information on the C/NC option.

Off-campus students should contact their advisor for more information on the C/NC option.

Credit/No Credit Option Table
School/College Qualifying Students C/NC Eligible Courses Limits
Academic Opportunity Center AOC Undergraduates follow the rules published for Letters & Science
College of Engineering & Applied Science Undergraduates in Engineering & Applied Science Free elective or Arts/Humanities/Social Science elective courses. Maximum of 12 credits; no more than three credits in any one semester.
College of Health Sciences Undergraduates admitted to the College of Health Sciences No required courses in any of the pre-professional or professional programs may be taken on a C/NC basis. Only one course, regardless of number of credits, may be taken per semester. A maximum of 12 credits may be taken C/NC.
College of Letters & Science Undergraduates in Letters & Science Courses other than Honors courses that are not in the student’s major or minor. One course per semester, maximum of eight courses.
College of Nursing Undergraduates in Nursing Non-clinical elective courses in Nursing. One course per semester, maximum of six credits.
Helen Bader School of Social Welfare Undergraduates majors and pre-majors in Social Work & Criminal Justice Only used in courses outside the 54-65 credit requirements in the Social Work or Criminal Justice major. One course per semester, maximum of eight courses.
Lubar School of Business Undergraduates in Business & Pre-Business All non-business courses (courses outside Lubar School of Business) that are not required as part of the student’s major. One course per semester; maximum of eight courses. No Business course may be taken on a C/NC basis by any student regardless of their program unless it is only offered on a C/NC basis. Pre-Business Students may not take ECON 103, ECON 104, or MATH 211 on a C/NC basis.
Peck School of the Arts Undergraduates in the Arts Courses outside of the major; any course which would fulfill the core curriculum requirements. One course per semester; maximum of eight courses
School Architecture & Urban Planning Pre-Architecture students and upper-level students with a 2.5 GPA Elective courses; courses other than the 48 credits required for the Architectural Studies degree. One course per semester, maximum eight courses.
School of Education Undergraduates in Education & Pre-Education Please see your advisor. Please see your advisor.
School of Information Studies Undergraduates in Information Resources All non-Information Studies (courses outside SOIS) that are not required as part of the student’s major. One course per semester, maximum eight courses.

Credit Loads

Maximum credit loads have been established for each term. Undergraduates who enroll beyond the max credit load will be assessed extra tuition above the normal full-time rate.

  • Fall or Spring terms: 18 credits in all schools and colleges, except Fine Arts (18 credits or three studio courses). The fall and spring registration limit in PAWS is 18 credits.
  • Summer term: 12 credits during the full term duration, but no more than four credits during any sessions less than or equal to four weeks. The summer enrollment limit in PAWS is 12 credits.
  • UWinteriM: 3 credits during the full term duration. The UWinteriM enrollment limit in PAWS is 3 credits. Due to the short duration of the term, overloads are generally not permitted during UWinteriM.

If an undergraduate student wishes to overload (take credits beyond the established maximum loads), they may request permission from their school or college advising office. Approval for overload does not waive any course prerequisites or permit enrollment in closed classes.

Graduate students may not register for more than 12 graduate credits in a Fall or Spring semester or 9 graduate credits in the eight-week Summer Session or a total of 12 graduate credits in all sessions between the conclusion of a Spring semester and the beginning of a fall semester. Audit, sport/recreation and colloquium seminar credits are not counted when determining a graduate student’s credit load.

If you are taking undergraduate certification coursework, are making up deficiencies, or have exceptional circumstances resulting in special hardship, you must appeal to Graduate Student Services for permission to carry more than the maximum credit load.

If you’re a doctoral student classified as a dissertator, you must be enrolled for three graduate-level credits (at the current dissertator rate) each semester until your doctoral dissertation is filed in the Golda Meir Library. The only number of credits for which a dissertator may register is three.

Approval for overload does not waive any course prerequisites or permit enrollment in closed classes. Forms must be submitted to Mellencamp 274 after the student’s initial registration appointment time, and will be processed by Registrar’s Office staff.

Tuition for Undergraduates Exceeding 165 Credits
Per UW Board of Regent policy, starting in the fall of 2004, all resident undergraduate students who have accumulated 165 credits (or 30 credits more than required by their degree programs, whichever is greater) will be charged a surcharge, equal to 100 percent of the regular resident tuition, on credits beyond the 165 credit plateau.

This policy applies to all UW System earned credits and WTCS transfer credits accepted toward a degree. Credits transferred from other institutions, as well as other types of credit or coursework for which credit may be awarded (such as advanced placement, retroactive credits, credits by examination, remedial credits, etc.) are not included in the credit limit.

The surcharge will be applied to all students in the semester following the one in which they reached the earned credit limit.  UW-Milwaukee may make exceptions through an appeals process and grant waivers in cases of extenuating circumstances beyond a student’s control.

The Registrar’s Office will issue a “Warning of Surcharge” communication to students who are nearing the 165 credit limit and a “Notification of Surcharge” communication to students who exceed the 165 credit limit. The letter will include policy information as well as appeal/waiver instructions which direct the student to visit the advising office within their school or college.

Approved appeals and surcharge waivers will be forwarded to the Registrar’s Office by the schools and colleges. Applicable surcharges will be assessed by the Bursar’s Office.  The Provost’s Office will be responsible for the review of programs with credit requirements in excess of 130 credits.

Undergraduate special students are not subject to the credit limit, although degree-seeking students are not permitted to change to special student status for the purpose of avoiding the application of this surcharge. Second-degree candidates and students pursuing post-baccalaureate certification or licensure are not subject to the credit limit. Minnesota reciprocity students are not covered by the policy under the existing compact and will not be subject to the surcharge until such time that Minnesota adopts a similar surcharge.

Credit Hour Policy

Study leading to one semester credit represents an investment of time by the average student of not fewer than 48 hours for class contact in lectures, for laboratories, examinations, tutorials and recitations, and for preparation and study; or a demonstration by the student of learning equivalent to that established as the expected product of such a period of study.

See the full UWM Credit Hour Policy.

Student Status & Class Standing

Enrollment status and class standing are dependent on how many credits you are enrolled in and have completed.

Student Status
The below chart provides status determinations used by federal, state, or private agencies. In order to be reported as fully-enrolled for a term, a student must be enrolled as of the day after the add deadline in that term. Prior to the add deadline, students are considered registered but not fully enrolled.

Fall/Spring Semester Credit Totals
Student Full Time Half Time Less Than Half
Academic Opportunity Center 8 or more 6-7 1-5
All Other Undergraduates 12 or more 6-11 1-5
Graduates 8 or more 4-7 1-3
Summer Session Credit Totals
Undergraduates 6 or more 3-5 1-2
Graduates 6 or more 3-5 1-2

Teaching or program/project assistants that are employed at 1/3 or more time and enrolled for six or more credits during the fall and spring semesters are usually considered full time graduate students.

During each fall and spring semester until their dissertation is accepted by the Graduate School, doctoral students must be enrolled for either three graduate-level dissertation or research credits at the current per-credit dissertator rate. During any summers in which a doctoral student uses university facilities or faculty time, is a fellow or research assistant, or plans to graduate, the doctoral student must register for no more than three graduate level credits (dissertator rate) in the regular eight-week summer session.

Status & Financial Aid
Eligibility for veterans’ benefits and other types of aid may be based on different credit load requirements. AOC undergraduates are not considered full-time unless enrolled for 12 or more credits. English 90/95 and Math 90/95 will each be treated as the equivalent of a 3-credit class.

All students’ enrollment status for summer is defined to be the same as their fall/spring semester status. Department of Education rules require that the same credit load standards apply for spring, fall and summer session loan deferment verifications. Therefore, for undergraduates, an enrollment of at least six credits (half time enrollment) is required for loan deferment verification purposes for the summer session.

All status determinations and requirements are published through the Financial Aid Office.

Class Standing
Class standing may be used as a prerequisite for a course. The prerequisite given in the course listing refers to the qualifications and/or standing needed to enroll in a given course. If no prerequisite is listed, the course is generally open to all students. If more than one prerequisite is listed, all are necessary unless a choice is clearly indicated.

Class Standing by Credit Totals
Sophomore Junior Senior
Academic Opportunity Center 24-55 56-87 88 or more
Business & Information Studies 24-55 56-85 86 or more
Letters & Science 24-55 56-87 88 or more
Nursing 28-57 58-95 96 or more
All Other Majors 24-57 58-85 86 or more

Gaining Permission for Courses

If you are unable to add a course in PAWS, you may be able to gain permission to take the course by submitting a Registration Change Form, also called an Add-Drop Form. The form may not guarantee enrollment and it is always recommended that you work with your advisor before completing a form. You can only use the form in the below mentioned situations.

Fail to Meet Prerequisites: If you feel you are ready to take a class for which you don’t meet the prerequisites, you can request permission from the course instructor.

Repeats Beyond Allowed Limit: If you want to repeat a course for a third time, or beyond whatever allowed limit is in place, you can request permission from your school or college/academic advisor and alert the class instructor.

Audit By Permission: If you want to audit a class that is marked with a # symbol and requires written consent to audit, you can request permission from the course instructor.

Credit Overload: If you want to take more credits than the maximum allowed load, you can request permission from your school or college/academic advisor.

Permission/Consent: If you want to take a course that requires permission or consent, you can request permission from the course instructor. Courses that require consent will return an error message in PAWS if you try to add them. In lieu of the form, you can also request a permission number from the department offering the course.

Closed Course: If you want to enroll in a class that has been closed in PAWS, you can request permission from the course instructor.

Past Add Deadline: If you want to enroll in a class after the published Add Deadline has passed, you can request permission from the course instructor and your school or college/academic advisor.

Past Drop Deadline: If you want to drop a class after the published Drop With W Deadline has passed, you can request permission from the course instructor and your school or college/academic advisor.

Administrative Drops

If you do not meet a course prerequisite but have been able to enroll anyway, you may be administratively dropped from the course or you may be required to drop the course.

If you don’t show up for the first week of class and don’t notify anyone, or if you ever fail to meet the class attendance policy, you may be administratively dropped from the course. Students that fail to attend a class during the first week (or in some cases the first two weeks) may be dropped so that another student can be accommodated.

Administrative Drops are initiated by the school or college that is offering the course or by the course instructor. Departments have the right to enforce class prerequisite and attendance policies and may administratively drop students that do not meet the requirements. You are responsible for understanding course prerequisite or attendance policies as well as tuition for dropped classes. Communicate with the course instructor if you feel you may be in danger of being administratively dropped, or drop a course as soon as you know you can’t remain in the class. Do not wait for the department to complete an administrative drop as fees for dropped classes are based on the date you drop the class online via PAWS or the date your drop form is submitted to the Registrar’s Office.


Students pursuing a degree from UWM will take most of their coursework on a graded basis. The general quality of a student’s performance in their classes is expressed in terms of the grade point average (GPA). The number of grade points earned in a course is computed by multiplying the points for the grade by the number of credits for which the course is offered. For example, if a student earned a B in a three-credit course, they would earn nine grade points. GPA is calculated by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of graded points taken. The highest possible average is 4.000 or an A in every subject.

The grade point average recorded on the official UWM transcript is based solely upon credits earned or attempted at UWM. Some schools and colleges have different standards for GPA calculation and may include transfer work; see degree requirements in the Undergraduate Catalog for specifics. UWM credits taken as audit or credit/no credit do not apply to your UWM GPA. If a student wants to receive a letter grade for a course, they should not specify audit or credit/no credit as a grading basis when registering on PAWS.

UWM uses a letter grade system that includes “plus” and “minus” grades and is based on a 4.000 scale. For convenience in computing averages, each letter grade carries a specified number of points per credit.

Grade Point Chart
A 4.000 C 2.000
A- 3.670 C- 1.670
B+ 3.330 D+ 1.330
B 3.000 D 1.000
B- 2.670 D- 0.670
C+ 2.330 F 0.000
Other Grade Values
CREDIT C- or higher in a “Credit/No Credit” course
NO CREDIT D+ or lower in a “Credit/No Credit” course (will not appear on your academic record)
NOT RPTD Grade was not submitted in time to be reported
I Incomplete
P Progress (research and thesis course work still in progress)
S Satisfactory (audit and zero-credit courses only)
U Unsatisfactory (zero-credit courses only except for English 090/095, Linguistics 096 and Math 090/095, which are assigned letter grades though they carry no degree or GPA credit)
UNREC Unrecorded – Audit Only (the course will not be entered on your academic record)
W Course dropped by student after fourth week of semester or first quarter of shorter session
WR Administrative Drop (enrollment in course violates permitted number of repeats)
R Repeat Course (counts in GPA)

F-Grade Policy
Effective Fall 2004, UWM implemented a “F” grading system due to Federal compliance requirements for students receiving financial aid. When reporting a grade of “F,” instructors will also report a number corresponding to the student’s “week of last participation” in the course. A student receiving the grade “F0” would have never attended or participated, and a student with a grade of “F16” would signify completion of the entire term. The numeral for “week of last participation” will be reflected on unofficial transcripts and grade reports. On official transcripts, only the grade of “F” will be reflected.

You may be given an incomplete if you have carried a subject successfully until near the end of the semester but, because of illness or other unusual and substantiated cause beyond your control, have been unable to take or complete the final examination or to complete some limited amount of coursework. An incomplete is not given unless you prove to the instructor that you were prevented from completing the course requirements for just cause as indicated above.

Undergraduates are required to complete a course marked incomplete prior to the end of the next succeeding semester (excluding summer sessions and UWinteriM). If the incomplete is not removed during this period, the report of “I” will lapse to “F”. If you earn an incomplete in your last semester of attendance prior to graduation from UWM, contact the Graduation Processing Office at (414) 229-4269 for information regarding the completion deadline.

Graduate students should contact the Graduate School for more information on the incomplete policy for graduate students.

Grade Changes
Students anticipating a grade change may view their grades in PAWS daily to confirm whether or not a grade has been changed. Only instructors assigned to teach a course may award or change grades for that course. Additional information on the Online Grade Change website.

Academic Action

If your GPA falls below minimum university wide standards for any grading period, or if your academic status cannot be determined due to outstanding incompletes or unreported grades, you will be subject to academic action. UWM monitors your academic progress to better support you as a student. All students are encouraged to make use of the extensive academic resources available.

University-Wide Academic Action Policy
The university-wide Academic Action Policy holds you, as an enrolled UWM student, to minimum standards of academic achievement. Individual schools and colleges may adopt stricter criteria, and you should consult the school/college advising offices for specific information.

Unacceptable academic performance will result in formal academic action. The following actions are recorded on the unofficial transcript: (1) Academic Probation; (2) Academically Dropped* for One Semester; (3) Final Probation and (4) Academically Dropped* for Two Years. Your official transcript will document any Academic Drop* action.

1) Academic Probation
Probation is a formal academic action that documents unacceptable performance on your unofficial transcript. If your cumulative GPA falls below 2.000 at the end of any grading term, you will be placed on Academic Probation. As long as your GPA in subsequent semesters remains above 2.000, you can continue to take classes even if your cumulative GPA remains below 2.000.

Once your cumulative GPA increases to 2.000 or higher, you will clear probation.

2) Academically Dropped for One Semester*
If you are placed on Academic Probation and your GPA in a subsequent semester falls below 2.000, you will be Academically Dropped for One Semester.

3) Final Probation
If you are Academically Dropped for any period of time and are permitted to enroll, you would return on Final Probation. As long as your GPA in subsequent semesters remains above 2.000, you can continue to take classes even if your cumulative GPA remains below 2.000.

Once your cumulative GPA increases to 2.000 or higher, you will clear probation.

4) Academically Dropped for Two Years*
If you are placed on Final Probation and your GPA in a subsequent semester falls below 2.000, you will be Academically Dropped for Two Years.

*Academic Drop
An Academic Drop is dismissal from the university for academic ineligibility. Academic Drop status is initiated by administrative offices and you must apply for readmission before you will be allowed to resume work at UWM.

You may be reinstated immediately after a drop action or readmitted after the specified drop period (one semester or two years). If readmitted or reinstated, you will be placed on Final Probation. These actions (reinstatement or readmission) may only be taken by the dean of the school or college by which you were dropped. Even if you wish to change your field of study upon reentry to UWM, you still need to obtain official permission to re-enter from the academic dean of the school or college from which you were dropped.

If you were Academically Dropped for any amount of time and you wish to change your field of study, you must first obtain permission to re-enter from the academic dean of the school or college from which you were dropped. When reapplying, indicate your current desired field of study in the appropriate box on the application. If readmitted, you must contact the academic dean of the school or college you wish to transfer to and initiate the process of officially changing your classification. It may be beneficial to contact the academic dean of your new school or college to discuss the possibility of reclassification before you apply for admission.