College Level Exam Program (CLEP)
CLEP is a series of examinations that allow individuals to earn college credit for what they already know. This test is internet-based and score reports are available upon completion of the exam. The test is offered one day per month. Registration with both CLEP and the UWM Testing Center are required. Most exams are 90 minutes. Study materials are available on the CLEP website.
UWM Test Center Code: 1473
Fees for the exam: CLEP charges $87 per registration fee is paid to CLEP/Collegeboard on their MyAccount Registration portal. UWM charges $25 plus a minimal processing fee and is paid when the appointment is made. Register online on our registration system.
For other questions, call the Testing Center at 414.229.4689.
Credit awards for CLEP exams are based on whether you are pursuing a bachelor’s degree or an associate degree at UWM. Students who pursue both a bachelor’s degree and an associate degree at UWM will receive each credit award within the respective degree program.
Credit will be granted if you have not received credit for any college course in the test area, and are not presently enrolled in such courses. A minimum score of 50 is needed to earn credit from any exam; exceptions are noted below. Blank fields indicate that no credit is awarded for the particular CLEP exam in the referenced degree program.
|CLEP Exams||UWM Bachelor Course Equivalent||UWM Associate Course Equivalent|
|American Government||POL SCI 104, 3 credits1 (GER)|
|Biology||See Below, 3-6 credits2 (GER)|
|Introductory Business Law||BUS ADM 391, 3 credits|
|Chemistry||CHEM 105, 6 credits|
|College Algebra||See Below4|
|College Composition||CGS ENG 1025|
|Financial Accounting||BUS ADM 201, 3 credits6||CGS BUS 201, 4 credits (GER)|
|History of the US I: Early Colonization to 1877||HIST 151, 3 credits (GER)|
|History of the US II: 1865 to Present||HIST 152, 3 credits (GER)|
|Human Growth and Development||NURS 203, 4 credits (GER)|
|Humanities||Letters & Science Elective, 3 credits7||HU degree credit, 4 credits (GER)|
|Literature Elective, 3 credits7|
|Information Systems||BUS ADM 230, 3 credits|
|Introductory Psychology||PSYCH 101, 3 credits (GER)||CGS PSY 202, 3 credits (GER)|
|Introductory Sociology||SOCIOL 101, 3 credits (GER)|
|Natural Sciences||Letters & Science Elective, 6 credits7||NS degree credit, 4 credits (GER)8|
|Principles of Macroeconomics||CGS ECO 101, 3 credits (GER)|
|Principles of Management||BUS ADM 330, 3 credits|
|Principles of Marketing||BUS ADM 360, 3 credits|
|Principles of Microeconomics||CGS ECO 101, 3 credits (GER)|
|Social Sciences and History||Letters & Science Elective, 3 credits7||SS degree credit, 4 credits (GER)|
|History Elective, 3 credits7|
|Western Civ I: Ancient to Near East to 1648||HIST 101, 3 credits (GER)|
|Western Civ II: 1648 to Present||HIST 102, 3 credits (GER)|
1 Non majors only
2 Biology: A score of 50 earns 3 credits of Bio Sci 102. Scores greater than 50 earn an additional 3 credits of Bio Sci elective for a total of 6 credits.
3 Calculus: A score of 50 to 63 grants 4 credits for Math 211; A score of 64 or higher grants 4 credits for Math 231.
4 College Algebra: Math Placement Level 30 is granted for a score of 63 or higher. Course credit is not granted.
5 To earn credit, students also must submit a portfolio of written work. Please contact the contact the Arts and Humanities Department Chair in the UWM College of General Studies for additional information.
6 A ranking at or above the 78th percentile will be required on the Introductory Accounting Exam for it to be considered equivalent to a grade of “B” for continuation in the Accounting-option track. Otherwise, a score of 50 is passing.
7 Students in the Sheldon B. Lubar School of Business only.
8 Credit earned for the Natural Sciences section will not count toward the associate degree natural science laboratory requirement.
9 Pre-Calculus: Math Placement Level 40 is granted for a score of 61 or higher. Course credit is not granted.
CLEP exams are offered one day per month. Register through our online registration system
There are a few steps to register for a CLEP exam. You must register with BOTH UWM and CLEP by following these steps:
- Register with CLEP by creating an account on the My Account registration portal. Follow the steps to register for a CLEP exam and pay for your exam fee. Make sure to print your registration ticket to present to the test center on your test day. After you register for an exam through CLEP, you must also register online through UWM.
- Register through our online registration system. You must complete your registration with CLEP (step #1) prior to confirming a test date with UWM.
- On the day of your exam, please remember to bring your CLEP registration ticket and a single form of photo id with signature.
- Register with CLEP by creating an account on the My Account registration portal. Verify your eligibility for military/veterans benefits. Follow the steps to register for a CLEP exam. If you are eligible, DANTES funds the CLEP exam fee. After you register for an exam through CLEP, you must register online through UWM.
- Register through our online registration system. You must complete your registration with CLEP prior to confirming a test date with UWM.
- On the day of your exam, please remember to bring your CLEP registration ticket and your Military ID and social security card
Your ID must be a government-issued photo ID. The ID must include the candidate’s name, signature, and a recognizable photograph. Acceptable forms of identification include:
- Current passport with name, photograph, and signature
- Valid driver’s license with name, photograph, and signature
- State or Province ID issued by the motor vehicle agency with name, photograph, and signature
- Military ID
- National ID with name, photograph, and signature
- A tribal ID card
- A naturalization card or certificate of citizenship
If the student is a minor and unable to provide a primary government-issued ID, then the College Board ID Form must be used for the primary ID. This form must include a recognizable photo, and the school seal must overlap the photo. The student must sign the ID form in the presence of the student’s counselor or principal. Ask the student to sign the ID form again at the test center. This form is valid only in United States test Centers. It must be dated and is good for only one year.
Contact CLEP Services at (800) 257-9558, (609) 771-7865, or email@example.com for information on obtaining the College Board ID Form, or download it from the Exam Day Info page of the CLEP website.